What To Do During Spring Break When You Aren’t Traveling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Spring break is approaching and unfortunately you aren’t traveling to a beautiful exotic paradise to spend your days tanning. So if you are staying home, here are some activities you can do alone or with friends that will keep your mind off the fact that you aren’t in the tropics sipping pina coladas.

Coffee & Catching Up

Spring break is the perfect time to get some coffee with a friend and update them on everything that has been going on in your life thus far. Even though there is facetime and Snapchat, nothing can compare to an authentic face to face conversation with someone special in your life. Being away at college and not being able to see your close friends for months on end, simply going to a coffee shop and talking for hours suddenly holds a lot more weight.

google

Thrifting

A cheap way to pass the time during spring break is to go thrift shopping. Thrift shopping has always been one of my favorite activities to do with friends because it is more exciting to me than regular shopping plus it won’t hurt your wallet as much. Thrifting can definitely be a hit or miss at times, but when you do find something it’s like you hit the jackpot. I once found a leather and denim jacket, each only $8. Finding a good deal can honestly make your day. With all that in mind, try using this spring break to check out your local thrift shops. My favorite is Plato’s Closet, which you can also sell your clothes and make some quick cash. Thrift shops are the best source to pick up some inexpensive pieces to spice up your spring wardrobe.

google

Going Outside & Getting Active

With the weather warming up- depending on where you live of course because every “spring” break I’ve ever endured just felt like a part two of winter break because it doesn’t get warm again in Illinois until June- it’s important to use your free time doing good for your soul and body. Go to the gym, ride your bike, or simply take a walk to the park with friends. It is essential during any school breaks to focus on what makes you happy. For me there is nothing more serene than being outside and admiring the world around me.

Go somewhere that your hometown is known for

Since you won’t be traveling this spring break you might as well make the most out of your staycation. When I go back to Chicago for break I plan to take a trip with my friends to downtown for the St. Patrick’s Day parade. So whether that is a drive-in or a famous restaurant in your town, spend some time there because it’s moments like that you will reminisce about when you’re older.

google

Try not to be too bummed that you’re not heading anywhere extravagant for spring break because you have your whole life for that. Appreciate your hometown and the people within it because if you’re with the right people, they make anything fun.

Thanks for reading, V

Hi, I'm Vanesa! I am currently a Communication major at Illinois State University. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus team because writing has always been a huge passion for me and now I have an opportunity to showcase that and grow as a writer. Besides writing, I love horror movies, dramatic tv shows, and iced coffee. I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them so stay tuned for more! xoxo, V
Contributor account for Illinois State