This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Working at a banquet hall gave me lots of experience about the behind the scenes of weddings. This year I have been invited to attend four wedding ceremonies and receptions. (Isn’t it funny I went from never attending a wedding to four in the same year?) Weddings can take place at any time throughout the year, but, no need to worry, I’ve comprised a list of a few suggestions for what to bring with you, no matter when the big day is.

Clutch Staples

Feel free to pair a purse or clutch with your outfit. I try to choose one that matches my shoes if possible. Most importantly you will want to bring your keys, ID, wallet, and phone. I recommended keeping a lip balm with you. If you have extra room, consider throwing a granola bar or a small snack in there (we all know how long church ceremonies can feel).  

Outfit Reminders

Remember, unless you are the bride, never wear white to a wedding. And be sure to consider your shoe options. Will there be lots of dancing? Is the ceremony on the beach? How far is the walk from the car to the venue? From personal experience, I’ve learned to bring heels to wear in pictures for the ceremony, and then change into flats for the reception portion. If you are going to be outside, grab a cardigan, blazer, or light jacket to ensure you will be comfortable because the weather can always be unpredictable. Make sure you are dressed appropriately. Is the wedding black tie attire? Is it casual? Dress with the setting and crowd in mind.

Beauty Favorites

Grab your makeup products to do touch ups throughout the night. I recommend a compact pressed powder and a lipstick for two staples, but feel free to adjust as needed. Bring bobbi pins and elastics– trust me… even if you don’t need them someone else might. If you are emotional or have a feeling there may be some tears shed, bring a portable tissue package. 

Wellness Products

On a personal note, pack a flosser or toothpick. You will not want to have food in your teeth all night. Gum and mints are helpful too if you want to feel refreshed after your meal. I usually try to grab feminine hygiene products if I have room in my clutch, you could be someone’s saving grace. 

Weddings are a wonderful celebration of the unconditional love between two people. As a guest, you are there to help partake in their special day. I hope you find these suggestions helpful whether you are a new wedding attender or a veteran wedding guest.

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!
Contributor account for Illinois State