This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

September brings cool weather, pumpkin lattes, and hours of binge watching! Here are some TV shows on Netflix that I recommend:

Greenleaf

The Greenleaf family runs a megachurch in Memphis. When the oldest daughter, Grace,  returns home, all hell breaks loose. This show is filled with drama and scandal! The show focuses on the entire family, from the grandparents to the teenagers. It is a great family show because each age demographic is represented in some way. What I like the most about Greenleaf is that it shows Black wealth. The Greenleafs have a huge mansion and cute outfits! Great opportunity to get some fall outfit ideas. Netflix will have all 5 seasons of Greenleaf available on September 5th.

The Game

If you miss football season, The Game is the show of you. The Game follows the lives of pro football players and their spouses and families. This is a comedy-drama series with an all-star cast including Tia Mowry-Hardict, Brittney Daniel, Wendy Raquel Robinson, and even NBA athlete Rick Fox. The thing I like about this show is that the character Melanie (Mowry-Hardict) is in medical school, which makes me feel seen as a college student. Netflix has the first 3 seasons available.

She’s Gotta Have It (2017)

If you haven’t already, you gotta check out Spike Lee’s She’s Gotta Have it series. It follows the life of Nola Darling, a brooklyn-based artist that struggles with balancing her career, relationships, and passion. Legendary filmmaker Spike Lee revamps the 1986 film of the same name. I love this series because it bridges the gap between generations who loved the original movie, while still touching on the same topics.

Floor is Lava

I watched the trailer for this show and have been hooked ever since! This Netflix original game show features teams trying to navigate rooms flooded with lava. The team that makes it through the room without falling in the lava the quickest, wins! If you want to yell ‘watch out! Hurry up!’ at the TV, this is the show for you.

In times like this, it is good to get away from reality. Television shows allow us to do that. I hope that these shows make you laugh, happy and feel good!

Joi Adams

Illinois State '21

Hey! I am a COM major at ISU. I love music, instagram and candles! I own my own candle business at FiveSevenLit.com.  My personality is on a spectrum from Michelle Obama to Cardi B, Okurrr! Journalism has always been a passion of mine. I am so excited to be featured on Her Campus! I hope the stories that I share brings inspiration, laughter, and most of all Joy to your life. Feel free to follow me on Instagram @officialjoi
Contributor account for Illinois State