Style > Beauty

Want a Bronzed Glow this Summer Without Laying Outside for Hours? Here are the Best Sunless Tans to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Summer is just around the corner, and after such a long winter, I’m sure all of us are ready for the warmer months ahead. But, if you’re anything like me, you might also be dreading the firetruck red lobster look that is seemingly inveitable after less than an hour outside. Fortunately, self tan makes it possible for us to enjoy the outdoors, protect our skin, and still have a golden glow! Here are my picks for the best self tan products to add to your routine this summer.

Tarte Brazilliance PLUS

Easy to apply and ready to go with a brand new self tanning mit included in the package, Tarte Brazilliance PLUS is the perfect self tan for beginners and experts alike. The product is relatively streak-free and will leave you looking smooth and evenly complected, never orange-y. Oh, and bonus points: with its sultry vanilla aroma, it might have the best scent of any self tan in the game.

St. Tropez Watermelon Infusion Gradual Tan

St. Tropez boasts an impressive lineup of tanning products that all have great uses, but my personal favorite happens to be the Watermelon Infusion Gradual Tan, the ultra-moisturizing staple that doubles as a means of a subtle bronze glow and a lightly fragranced lotion. If you’re looking for a formula that will gradually build up over time as opposed to drastically changing your skin tone overnight, this is the one; frequent application of St. Tropez Watermelon Infusion over a few weeks will help you achieve that natural looking glow. 

Supergoop Healthy Glow Sunless Tan with SPF 40

I get it. As someone with ultra-fair Irish skin, sunscreen application can be a massive inconvenience, especially when it comes to beach and pool days full of piling on sticky, chemical-smelling lotion that leaves a less-than-flattering white cast behind. If this is something you struggle with, look no further! Supergoop, one of my most favorite brands for protecting my fragile complexion against UV rays, has recently introduced its Healthy Glow Sunless Tan formulated with SPF 40 to ensure that you have tanned skin without the risk of skin damage. Formulated with clean ingredients, free of animal testing, and water-resistant for up to 80 minutes, this one is a no-brainer.

Loving Tan Bronze Shimmer Luminious Cream

If you’re looking to apply self tan that just feels luxurious, look no further than Loving Tan. Its well-rounded ingredient list and ritzy packaging create an experience nothing short of salon quality, and the tan results are of the same caliber. Best of all, this specific product leave your skin with a slight shimmery glow. If I didn’t already have several bottles on Loving Tan sitting on my bedroom dresser, I’d be loading them into my online shopping cart right about now. What more convincing is required?

Anything from Isle of Paradise (really, anything!)

Guys, I genuinely could not settle on specific product for this part, because the Isle of Paradise is my fave. From their classic self-tanning drops and Tik Tok famous glow water to the newest addition to the family, the luxurious Self-Tanning Butter, there is so much to love. The majority of the Isle of Paradise products come with a choice of either a Light, Medium, or Dark shade so that you can decide just how drastically you want to change your complexion, and all of the formulas are naturally color-correcting, meaning that any hiccups in the application process will be relatively unnoticeable. In other words, with Isle of Paradise, you simply can’t go wrong.

While picking the perfect self tanning product can at times be overwhelming, I hope I could narrow down some solid choices and give you a good idea of the best way to get your tan on. Here’s to glowing allllll summer long!

Sidney Ropp

Illinois State '24

Sidney is a sophomore Legal Studies student at Illinois State University, where she writes for both her collegiate chapter and the national Her Campus staff. She is deeply passionate about health, wellness, dietetics, and fashion. Sidney is so excited to be a part of Her Campus and have the opportunity to share her interests with the campus community!
Contributor account for Illinois State