nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Currently taking my own advice while writing this article in emphasizing just how important it is to write. Simply write. Not writing an essay- unless you prefer; not writing a long, meaningless paragraph – unless it actually does mean something to you; not even writing something for class- unless you absolutely need to. The writing that you produce does not have to follow specific grammar rules or sentence structure forms, although that has probably stuck with you as you have been taking English classes that have stuck by those guidelines. The way that you write does not have to be academically inclined, and can take place in many types of formats.

via Google images

Being able to write all of your thoughts and ideas down on paper, or digitally, is huge to reaching an outlet of understanding your own thinking, as well as others understanding your thoughts if you choose to share what you have written. This kind of writing can be as easy as free writing in a journal or even typing random words or sentences on a laptop that might not make sense now, but will later on. In order to have this essential part of communication, jotting down whatever is stored in your brain will help to improve your thinking skills and gives voice to anything you cannot physically say aloud.

via Google images

Just as reading for fun is powerful to do, writing has the same effect for many people and does have similar influential features that will be necessary for years to come. Of course the writing that you complete for classes will help build critical thinking and comprehension skills, but there is just something so different when you take writing upon yourself. You feel a sense of control and value to what you have collected with your writing and you will feel accomplished with all that you have done. Whether it would be typing a long Instagram caption for your best friend’s birthday or writing a list of goals or to-do’s in your planner, you have successfully done the work of just simply writing.

via Google images

Everyone is a writer and most definitely can write well; you just have to collect your thoughts and let your mind tell you what to write.

Irena Katherine

Illinois State '20

Hi! I am an editor for Her Campus ISU and I will be graduating from Illinois State University in 2020, majoring in Secondary English Education. I have always loved writing and each time my article is published on HC ISU’s website, I remind myself of how lucky I am to be apart of such an amazing team!
Contributor account for Illinois State