The Types of Friends In Every Friend Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We all have a best friend group. I mean who else would we document our lives to over a group chat or make unforgettable memories with? Yep, those would be our best friends. We love them to death and might want to strangle them at times, but wouldn’t have it any other way. 

But, what would a friend group be without these types of people? Let’s be real – each of your friends brings somethin’ different to the table. 

Here are the type of friends that EVERY friend group has. 

The Funny Friend 

Or, at times, just think’s she’s funny. But, don’t get me wrong – we know we all have that one friend who makes us laugh whether its to lighten the mood, shut us up from crying or to just make any situation not awkward (sometimes it makes it more awkward). She’s always there for us and always brings the comic relief. 

The Tough Friend 

We all have that one friend who just doesn’t care what people think and sometimes we envy it. We also know she’ll always have our backs – whether it’s sticking up for us in a fight or letting McDonald’s know they messed up your order. If you’re ever too scared to say something, you know this friend will for you. 

The Mom Friend 

The friend that we turn too for reassurance because we always want “mom” to approve. This is our friend who somehow always ends up on the Chasers dance floor, even when she has two tests, a presentation and work the next da. She still manages to wake up on time, look presentable and kill it. We don’t know how its possible or how she takes care of the friend group and makes the right decisions for everyone, but somehow she does it all. 

The Crying Friend 

And well, for this friend, we just never seem to have enough tissues. We all have our emotional friend. The one that just somehow always seems to end up with mascara running down her face after a night out on the weekends. And most of the time we aren’t ever sure what exactly happened or if anything did at all. Hey, we still love you though! 

The “Bro” Friend 

Sometimes, it seems like pulling teeth to get this friend to change out of her baggy sweatpants and into a cute outfit. But, we secretly wish we could all pull it off just as well as she does. Our “bro” friend can definitely kick it back with the guys and fit in like no other. 

The Spontaneous Friend 

The only person in the friend group who can somehow convince the whole squad to drop what they’re doing and make the most of the day. Whether its getting everyone together for a night out or taking road trips to the middle of nowhere – this friend always keeps you wondering what the next adventure will be. 

The Loud Friend 

The one friend who doesn’t really know the difference between inside and outside voices. Also the friend who loves to talk. Feeling tired? Don’t’ worry – she’ll keep the conversation going. Don’t get me wrong, it can definitely come in handy at times. I mean, who else would be designated to scream at everyone to hurry up when we’re on a time crunch? Definitely the loud friend. 

The Crazy Friend 

Crazy could even be an understatement… this friend is pretty much just all over the place, and we love her for it. She’ll keep you running around all day and night and somehow always has the energy of a five-year-old – we’re never really sure where she gets it from, but it’s nice to have a good laugh every now and then. She definitely keeps the friend group fun and way more interesting. 

Whatever your friend type may be, all friend groups still have one thing in common: we’re always there for each other. No matter how crazy, loud or emotional your friends are – you know you can always come to them for absolutely anything. 

HCXO

Ashleigh Lalla

Illinois State '18

.
Contributor account for Illinois State