This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Like many others, TV can consume my life. Throughout my entire life, I have always been an avid TV watcher. With that said, there are always characters I have been more drawn to than others, thus in this article I will be closing in on my favorite female characters on TV in specific. Everyone has a favorite character, and while the basis of what makes a character someone’s favorite is subjective, maybe after this article you will look at these characters in a different light.

Jade West-Victorious  

With Victorious recently being put on Netflix, I have fallen in love with Jade all over again. Since the show aired in 2010, I have always admired Jade’s confidence and her ability to not care what anyone thinks. From the first episode she is portrayed as this “mean girl”, maybe I’m just biased, but I feel her behavior was justified. If I was in Jade’s position and this new girl came to my school and just inserted herself into my friend group on top of kissing my boyfriend, I don’t think I would be thrilled either. However, I’m not saying I would pour iced coffee on someone, but that scene does show you instantly that Jade West is not someone you want to mess with. Aside from her fearless attitude, Jade has an amazing voice and her vocals in “Take A Hint”, “Give It Up”, and “You Don’t Know Me” are off the charts. Her relationship with Beck was always fun to watch as well because while they were so different, they were perfect for each other. If you haven’t been rewatching Victorious on Netflix, Jade West is a huge reason if not thee reason to watch it.

Sabrina Spellman- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

While I do love Sabrina from the hilarious 90’s sitcom, Sabrina the Teenage Witch I must admit I really dig the new, darker Sabrina in the Netflix original that came out last year. I already knew I was going to like the show before it came out because I love anything horror/halloween related, but I didn’t anticipate to love Sabrina as much as I do. When you are first introduced to Sabrina, she is half witch and half mortal on the cusp of her 16th birthday. The opening scene shows her love for horror movies and I couldn’t help but think wow that’s literally how I act when I watch horror movies. Besides the qualities of myself I see in her, I love how strong willed she is and how when she has a goal, nothing will stop her in accomplishing it. Even though that does get her into trouble sometimes, you can’t help but root for. She is always helping her friends while battling her other life as a witch. I also would like to add that I’m still rooting for her and Harvey to work out in the end because, while the majority of people prefer her with Nick I’m still team Harbrina all the way.

Serena Van Der Woodsen- Gossip Girl

Alright I know what your thinking, how can I prefer Serena over Blair, well here’s why: I get it, everyone loves Blair’s scheming, her relationship with Chuck etc. which I think is overrated but I digress. I do love Blair, I’ve just always been more drawn to Serena maybe because of her effortless charisma, long blonde hair, and I’ve always preferred her fashion sense over Blair’s. I’m also obsessed with Blake Lively so that could be it, but I do think Serena gets too much hate for no reason. Blair was not angel in season one or in any season for that matter, but everyone overlooks that same with Chuck, Serena did make mistakes, but her and Blair were usually equal to blame when in arguments. I loved that Serena was always open to be friends with anyone and would always give people the benefit of the doubt. This did cause her problems sometimes because like Blair once said, “Serena likes to see the best in people, [She] likes to see the truth.” She always stood up for the people she cared about like her brother, Erik and when she felt something wasn’t right she would do something about, like when Lilly put an innocent man in prison. I also understand she had a new boyfriend every season, but Nate was doing the same thing, yet everyone still loves him. I know have the unpopular opinion here, but I love Serena and I think her relationship with Dan was the cutest on the show. 

Fallon Carrington- Dynasty

Liz Gillies is one of the most talented actresses out there, I have fallen in love with two characters she has played that are so uniquely different, however they still have captured my attention enough for them both to be on this list. Fallon Carrington is a rich, hard working business woman on the highly underrated CW drama, Dynasty. I talk about this show so much that I should be paid as their personal promoter. I should add that everyone I’ve recommended this show to and that has watched it really enjoys it. So make sure to give this show a watch, the first two seasons are on Netflix. Fallon is far from perfect, she also gives off some Blair Waldorf vibes, but unlike where a lot of Blair’s scheming seems childish Fallon always has a deeper goal in mind which makes her actions for the most part justifiable. She knows what she wants and goes after it, while her tactics may be manipulative she is dedicated to making a name for herself. However, she is very territorial and protective over the people she loves. She has major trust issues, so it’s hard for her to let people in, but when she does, she will protect and defend them at all costs. The relationship that exemplifies this the most is her relationship with her brother, Steven. Throughout the entire show she lets him know how much she looks up to him, and defends him when he’s not around. They always have each other’s back, their relationship alone shows you how much of a good person Fallon can be and Steven definitely brings out the best in her which is why he is my favorite character on the show. With that said, this list is for female characters so I’ll have to discuss how amazing Steven is another time. 

Rachel Green- Friends

I was not the biggest fan of Rachel in the beginning, but her character development throughout the series really made her become one of my favorites out of the friend group. She was someone who never worked a day in her life, while having this entitled attitude. However, she evolves into this very charismatic, hard working woman who cares deeply for people. Each relationship she had was special in its own way, showcasing the importance of the people you surround yourself with. She was very flawed in the beginning, but as she evolves she learns how to be a good person. Rachel symbolizes what can happen when you surround yourself with good people, and friends can change you for the better. As they say, you are who you surround yourself with. Ross and Rachel’s relationship on the show was bumby to say the least, but it was clear how much they cared for each other in the end, Rachel loves him so much that she doesn’t go to Paris for him. I don’t know if that’s the choice I would personally make, but nevertheless the love she had for not only Ross, but her other friends was all consuming. 

There you have it, a few of my favorite female characters on television. We all have our own favorites and reasons behind it, but TV shows are always a fun topic of conversation. These characters, while fictional can have a real effect on you and maybe even inspire you. The representation of women on TV has changed so much over time, definitely for the better. I get not everyone takes time to analyze every character they watch on TV in hopes to find a life lesson, but even if the character is merely a source of happiness and entertainment for you than the actor has done their job.

Thanks for reading, V

Hi, I'm Vanesa! I am currently a Communication major at Illinois State University. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus team because writing has always been a huge passion for me and now I have an opportunity to showcase that and grow as a writer. Besides writing, I love horror movies, dramatic tv shows, and iced coffee. I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them so stay tuned for more! xoxo, V
Contributor account for Illinois State