The Top 21 Ways to Cope with “Adulting” at 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

What even is this term, “adulting?”

What does it mean to you? Or does it even mean anything to you?

To my understanding, adulting consists of things like waking up at 6:00 A.M. for your day job, paying all of the bills (rent included,) going grocery shopping to prepare your own meals, and going to the doctor ALONE.  And as a senior in college, adulting becomes more and more prominent and often times I don’t know how to cope with it. 

I’ve decided to create a list of the top 21 ways that I’ve learned to cope with all of the sucky things that come along with being an adult. I’m hoping one, if not all, can be of use to you.

1. Just don’t cope?

2. As Buddy the Elf would say, “Eat a roll of Tollhouse cookie dough as fast as you can!”

3. Pretend you are in a music video for “Come Clean” by Hillary Duff and scream it at the top of your lungs in your shower.

4. Complain about how broke you are on a regular basis but proceed to spend all the money you don’t have on Hurricanes at Fat Jack’s.

5. Cry like Kim K.

6. Buy a scented candle.

7. Consume Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee until you cannot function without the taste of the grainy sugar at the bottom of your cup.

8. Live off of Cheez-its and microwavable dinners to avoid having to go grocery shopping.

9. Hide in your room for long periods of time to avoid all responsibilities.

10. Sing “How Far I’ll Go” from Moana all while knowing you may be headed absolutely nowhere in life.

11. Tell your friends you are going to workout at the Rec but go and get a Big Mac, fries, and milkshake from the McDonald’s right down the street instead.

12. Call your mom (at least) five times a day, whether it is to complain about an annoying classmate or to make sure you are microwaving your Easy Mac properly.

13. Cry… again. No shame.

14. Go online shopping. Nothing screams “I’m broke and bored” like a new order from Forever 21.

15. Take a nap. 15 minutes or 3 hours? There really is no difference.

16. Do the almost impossible and memorize the entire Busta Rhymes part in “Look at Me Now.” It might make you feel a little better about the three, maybe four, classes you are probably failing.

17. Have daily conversations with your friends to make sure that they are struggling just as equally as you are.

18. Watch re-runs of That 70’s Show until you don’t feel as bad as Eric Foreman.

19. Chew through three packs of Bubblicious until your jaw hurts as much as your dignity.

20. Consider dropping out and applying to Hogwarts (despite the fact that you’re a muggle).

21. Watch people get the golden buzzer on America’s Got Talent.

Be sure to try at least one of these, and you’re sure to start feeling better about being a real adult!

Building my life on God's love, choosing joy, embracing family, ceaselessly writing, constantly dancing, raising my pitbull chihuahua, and teaching tiny humans all things.
Contributor account for Illinois State