Text message that says \"If it makes you happy it\'d make me happy\"
Millie Dean
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Through My Eyes: Loving Someone who Feels as Deeply as I do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I have always been someone who feels everything very deeply. I have always worn my heart on my sleeve. I consider this one of my biggest strengths, but also one of my biggest weaknesses. Being able to feel the best things—love, happiness, friendship, etc.— deeply is one of the most incredible feelings. It amplifies all those feelings and makes me appreciate them that much more. But, deeply feeling other things, like sadness and heartbreak, means that those feelings hurt much worse, cut much deeper, and leave room for a longer more difficult recovery. It is a blessing and a curse, feelings things deeply. I had never encountered someone romantically who feels things deeply like me until recently.

My current relationship is with someone who feels deeply. I’m not sure if I’ll ever meet someone who feels the same exact way I do about everything (which isn’t realistic in itself), but I can just tell that he is someone who truly feels things, and it has added an entirely new layer to our relationship and my experience with relationships in general.

Until him, I had no idea what it was like to be in a relationship with someone who reciprocated my level of feeling about anything and everything.

When I love, I love hard. I love with everything I have—every ounce of my being. Even if it means getting hurt, it all ties back to my key characteristic of feeling things deeply. I feel love entirely; I am all in.

And he loves hard. He makes me feel thought of, seen, heard, appreciated, respected, accepted, celebrated, valued, and loved. When I think of him, I don’t wonder if he ever thinks of me in the same way; because I know he does. He expresses that to me. He expresses his thoughts openly to me. He communicates clearly with me. He validates me. He shares his feelings with me all the time. It has been the biggest breath of fresh air.

He has shown me so many qualities that I want in a partner that I didn’t even realize I had been missing. Someone who reciprocates all the effort, thought and love that I put into a relationship. Someone who loves with everything they have and loves as if there is no chance of getting hurt. Someone who wears their heart on their sleeve. Someone who gives, not takes. Someone who expresses their emotions. Someone ambitious, driven and goal-oriented. Someone who puts their all into every aspect of their life, not just a relationship.

I live by the phrase that “everything happens for a reason,” and I believe this is something in its own entirety. Being loved the way that I love has been the most incredible and seemingly indescribable feeling that I have been soaking in, and that I hope everyone is able to experience in one way or another.

Millie Dean

Illinois State '23

HI! My name is Millie and I love writing for Her Campus! I'm a senior at Illinois State University studying Public Relations and minoring in Graphic Design. My other interests include art, embroidery, thrifting, and photography. I love to be able to be creative in my interests and in my articles on Her Campus. Follow me on Instagram! @milliedean5