The Things We Forget to Thank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Okay, let’s be honest. We know we’re thankful for our friends, families, pets and food. We fill our Instagram feeds with pictures of loved ones and we blow Snapchat up with stories of food. But what about the things in life that we never really seem to take the time out to think, “wow… I really don’t know what I’d do without that?” So here’s to the under appreciated things in life that we will always be thankful for, even when we forget to show it.

Toilet Paper

To be honest, I really don’t need to go into detail. Just think about what life would be like without this hygiene-saving item.

Toilet seats

Some of us just aren’t professional squatters. Be thankful that not only do you have a place to do your business, but you can do it in comfort.

Being able to flush the toilet without anything bad happening

We should probably learn how to appreciate those super toilets that never do us dirty… literally.

Water

Water actually falls into the common things to be thankful for… but I just have to give it a quick shout-out again because you truly don’t know the importance of water until you visit your guy friends and they have nothing in the fridge besides beer. Thank you for everything that you do, water.

Slip on shoes

Whether they’re slippers, Jesus sandals or Birkenstocks… these types of shoes save lives. Do you know how simple they make day-to-day activities? When you need to run out of the house really quick, you don’t have to worry about having a 10-minute battle with your tennis shoes or boots. You the real MVP, Jesus sandals. It’s not all about the looks.

Deodorant

Love you, deodorant.

Make-up Remover

Ladies… you know the struggle of taking off eyeliner or mascara with make-up wipes or cleanser. Imagine if we didn’t even have that? Make-up would just be out of the question.

Cheap Gas

Oh, there is nothing better than seeing gas being under $2.00. Appreciate that. Take it in. Fill that tank.

Pillows

Whether you sleep with one pillow or 12… you cannot deny that a pillow is your best friend. It’s your ride or die. Your pillows don’t leave your side. Actually, they are there when you need them the most. Tell your pillow how much you love it tonight, never take it for granted.

Sunlight

How do you feel about it getting dark at 4 p.m. now? Need I say more. 

So as the season continues to grow, don’t forget to thank your mac n’ cheese for being beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving. 

Mallory Lovings

Illinois State

I am a firm believer that mac n' cheese was put on this earth in honor of me.
Contributor account for Illinois State