Life > Experiences

Things I Need to do Before Leaving College for Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The day when I’m supposed to walk across a stage and be handed a diploma is coming fast. When I’m going to be on campus one last time and say goodbye to the past four years of my life. Four years that flew by in the blink of an eye.

But that day isn’t here just yet. And there is still so much I wish to do.

So, here are some things I want to do with the remaining seven months of my college career.

some FUN THINGS TO DO:

college parties?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
NETFLIX
Hit UP all My college’s clubs/bars

Part of “college life” is the college bars. It’s just the way it is. After college, I know I’ll feel too old to even step foot into a college bar, so, it’s definitely a goal of mine to hit every. single. one. my campus has to offer. And what better way to bond with your college girlfriends than going to the bathroom together?

Explore My college town more

I’ve been around my college town—I mean, I have been here for three years—but there is always more to explore. Whether it’s new restaurants, coffee shops, bookstores, boutiques or ice cream parlors, it’s time to try some new things before I’m gone.  

Attend more campus events … specifically, a football game

Between attending two different colleges, you’d think I’ve been to at least one football game. But surprise surprise, I haven’t. Football season is only so long, so I will definitely be attending one football game (among other sporting events) while I still have the chance … when else am I going to wear my spirit wear?

Participate in other Rec classes

Being at a university means being able to use the university’s rec—and all the classes that come with it. The fact that I have only ever been to a cycling class, out of how many other classes, is pitiful. Now is the time to cash in on the classes available to me. Hello, pilates!

Have a memorable Spring break

Four years of college equals four crazy, spontaneous, will-never-forget spring breaks. Yet, I still haven’t had one of those, and I only have one last chance. So, this spring I will be forcing my friends to spend the money on an unforgettable spring break trip … Miami? Fort Lauderdale? Myrtle Beach? The options are endless.

did someone say SCHOOL SPIRIT:

all american homecoming by Original photo by DaZhane Johnson?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original photo by Da’Zhane Johnson
Buy More University Merch

The question, “How am I a senior in college but only own one pair of school socks, one school sweatshirt and one school mug?” is in my head a lot. Sure I can buy more school merch and wear it after I graduate, but time is of the essence! I need merch to wear now, while I’m still here. Especially since I’ll be going to so many school events this year.

Spend More Time on the Quad

My school has a beautiful quad—490 acres with thousands of trees that represent over 90 species. Safe to say, I don’t have that at home. So this year you can find me on the quad for anything and everything: study sessions, picnics, reading, stargazing and even hammocking.

Extra space in the schedule? Take a different class

When you’re in college you have a major, and with that comes a variety of classes all about that major. With my major classes already being completed, but still needing a few credits, I’ve decided to take a class completely out of my comfort zone (meaning out of my major). Who knows? Maybe I’ll find something else I’m interested in.

Let’s talk REAL-WORLD:

Receive Another internship

College is all about gaining experiences that will help you in your life after college. With that comes internships. Because of my English minor, I’m currently interning at a publishing firm to gain even more experience in the publishing world. But I’m also a journalism major, so I think it’s only fair to gain additional experience in that field too. Enter a news reporting internship.

Revise My resume

Being that it’s senior year—aka almost the real world—making sure my resume is as perfect as it can get is a top priority. With resources all around campus to help make that happen, it’s time to see them and begin preparing for life after college.

Apply to NYU

Speaking of life after college, where is the first stop? Well, hopefully, NYU. Since I have an interest in English aside from journalism, NYU offers a summer publishing program. There, I’ll get to improve my skills to their fullest potential. Who doesn’t want to spend the summer in New York? I know I do.

Apply to jobs

With a revised resume and more experience on the way, it’s time to think about what my options are as far as a career path. And so, toward the end of the school year, I’ll be applying to lots of places.

GRADUATE…

Last stop of the year: graduation. Goodbye to the bars, the events, the friends, the sleepless nights of studying … the list goes on. Hello to my new 9-to-5 job. But hey, I’m getting ahead of myself. As I said, there are still seven months left. And if you, too, want to make the most of those months, I hope my list can help.

Alexa Fricilone

Illinois State '23

Alexa is a recent journalism graduate of Illinois State University and current student at NYU's Summer Publishing Institute. She has been a contributing writer since 2021 and our Junior Editor since 2022. Follow her on Instagram @alexafricilone