Career

Things College Doesn’t Prepare You for During Student Teaching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Illinois State University is known for its amazing teacher education and preparatory programs. Even with the high esteem that surrounds the campus and these teaching programs, there’s lots of stuff that happens in an actual classroom that isn’t able to be duplicated in your college learning experiences or environment, no matter how wonderful your university is. No college can replicate some of these experiences.

Every student-teacher will have a unique teaching and learning experience. Consider all of these factors: college preparatory program, major, age of students, placement school, distance to the school, identity, background and individual experiences based on your abilities. All of these factors will impact your individual experience. However, I wonder if there may be similarities across the board that many student teachers, or first-year teachers, are experiencing.

I developed a list below of crucial ideas and moments I was unprepared for during student teaching. By sharing these points, I hope to provide you with a “heads-up” or a sense of awareness that you may experience one, or all, of the things as a student teacher.

1. Your students will experience loss and trauma affecting them and you emotionally much more than you can imagine. Know that there will be days when students need a safe space and extra support, which takes priority over the lesson you have planned.
  2. Frame this experience as an opportunity for growth and learning because this experience is entirely new for you.
  3. Find time during the week for yourself. Do things you enjoy.
  4. You may feel like you are losing your sense of self as you embark on this journey full of uncertainties but try your best to remember your “why.” Keeping the reason you wanted to be an educator at the forefront of your mind is essential.
  5. You may work set school hours during the day, but the true work of student teaching does not end after school hours.
  6. Imposter syndrome as a young educator is SO real.
  7. You need to surround yourself with a positive support group of friends and family to keep encouraging you to do your best. I am halfway through student teaching when I’m writing this, and I would not be myself if I did not have my support group cheering me on.
  8. Emergencies may happen in your classroom. Be prepared to follow the protocols outlined at your school and know who to call if you need help.
  9. You will quickly need to learn how to effectively communicate with parents, guardians and families about your students’ learning. Find a method that works best for your teaching practice.
  10. There will be bad days. Your lesson plan may flop. Students may struggle with a topic you did not anticipate. Teaching is all about flexibility! Enjoy the fantastic moments and learn from the not-so-great ones.
  11. Dedicate time toward continuing your professional development and goals, such as applying for open job positions and updating your resume.
  12. Create a solid morning routine to ensure you are prepared to get ready for the day, drive to your placement school, and feel prepped for a day of teaching ahead.

Even with all of these things that college couldn’t prepare me for during student teaching, there were many things and skills that I was prepared for. I learned how to lesson plan utilizing grade-appropriate standards, which I am now planning with the needs of my students in mind. I learned how to outline a unit plan and build materials, and now I am enacting unit plans in the classroom and creating resources for students. I learned how to critically reflect on my teaching, which has tremendously improved the outlook of my experience and helped prepare me to receive feedback from my mentor teacher, field instructor and English education department faculty. I learned how to collaborate with colleagues, and now I am able to contribute to conversations about pedagogy and teaching strategies.

As with any experience in life, how you view the moments and opportunities makes all the difference in the world. Even with these things I felt unprepared for, or had no knowledge I would encounter, I have learned that you just need to take things one day at a time. Focus on being present in the moment. Learn from your mistakes. Be proud of your progress. Show up for your students and advocate for their needs. Be prepared and responsible for your instruction. Most importantly, be proud of yourself for stepping into the role of a student teacher. The world needs more wonderful teachers like you.

HCXO,

Lynn

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!