This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We use the internet for almost everything. So, interacting with some form of social media is inevitable in this day and age. Gen Z, especially, is one of the first generations to grow up with smart devices and free rein to internet access. Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms. A 2022 study conducted and published by Pew Research Center found that six in ten teens use Instagram.

I have an Instagram account, and it’s easy for me to get sucked into scrolling and comparing myself to influencers and their lifestyle. Avoiding social media is difficult because it’s everywhere and is often used as a major form of communication between peers. I recently realized that I can take control of my feed and the type of content I see. It’s done wonders for my mental health and self-esteem. In this post, I’m going to share my tips and tricks for unlocking a stress-free Instagram feed.

Follow and unfollow

Is there a correlation between mindfulness and happiness? Countless researchers and psychologists believe there is. We can apply mindfulness to anything, including social media. Mindfulness is simply being present in the moment and engaging in activities that bring some sort of positive outcome. This might explain why mindless scrolling on your feed makes you feel drained instead of relaxed or entertained. You’re not fully enjoying the moment and the content you’re consuming. The good news is, you have the power to control the accounts you follow. Follow what makes you feel good and unfollow or block accounts that do the opposite.

Mindfulness accounts are your best friend (literally)

If you’re not sure where to start, I have a few mindfulness account recommendations that are mental health centered:

@quotesbychristie
@millennial.therapist

Messages like these that pop up throughout my feed remind me that what I’m feeling and experiencing is valid. As well as how to approach my everyday situations in a healthy and mature manner. Following more accounts that make you feel good during and after your scroll is key here.

the Highlight reel…is real

While it’s important to follow accounts that lighten your mood, it’s just as important to unfollow the ones that darken it. If an account or certain content material triggers you, makes you feel negative about your body, causes you to make comparisons, or makes you feel bad, unfollow or block that account. You’ll notice that the algorithm, as well as your home page, will show you less and less of that content.

Remember, social media is a highlight reel. Yes, it can be a wonderful outlet for self-expression, but many users post the best parts of their life. Some influencers make their money by tailoring their life to look perfect to sell you products. Your value doesn’t come from how well you take a selfie or how “good” your body looks in a bathing suit.

Stephanie Lange started as a beauty YouTuber but transitioned into commentary-style content surrounding topics like unrealistic beauty standards, causing a toxic warp on self-esteem and body image. She does side-by-side comparisons of popular influencers and their posts to their off-guard pictures without posing, filters, or Photoshop. Lange does a good job of not bashing the women in her videos. Instead, she praises their natural beauty. She pushes to normalize cellulite, stretch marks, and pores. We all have them (even models and beauty influencers), so we shouldn’t be ashamed of them.

One of Lange’s most popular videos about ‘body goals’

Wrapping it up 

Celebrate your unique beauty and the things you’re grateful for in life. Remember that you can make your social feed a more positive place. Follow accounts that spark joy, creativity, and calm in your life. Unfollow the ones that are doing the contrary. It’s totally okay to ghost your socials and take a break from being online.

Isabel Crabtree

Illinois State '25

Hello everyone! I am a marketing student at Illinois State University. I love all things music, true crime, and self-improvement. I write to inspire and share what I've learned. Thank you for reading!