Wellness > Health

The Rise of Chlorophyll Water: what is it and what are its Benefits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Have you ever seen someone drinking something that has a dark greenish tint to it and thought to yourself, “ew what is that?” That person could have been drinking chlorophyll water! TikTok is the first place that opened my eyes up to chlorophyll water. I would see so many videos of athletic and fit people drinking this mystery liquid. So, I just had to research what exactly chlorophyll water does.

One important thing to keep in mind is that this is a chlorophyll supplement. Which means that it is a water-soluble form that is created from copper instead of magnesium, like regular chlorophyll. This is important to know because this type of chlorophyll works better with the human body and its process of absorption.

Now let’s get into what we’re all here for. The first benefit of chlorophyll water that sticks out to me the most is that chlorophyll water helps improve your skin. This water has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce the spread of bacteria growth in the skin. Having a glass of chlorophyll water can help with acne by reaching into the gut and removing the bacterium in it.

Speaking of gut health, another thing that drinking this water is good for is detoxifying the gut. Chlorophyll water helps regulate the bodies bowel movements and remove the toxins stuck in the intestines.

As if the idea of chlorophyll water couldn’t get better, it is also known to prevent cancer. A study found that drinking a glass of this water has the power to limit aflatoxin which is a compound that has been proven to cause cancer.

After hearing all of these amazing health benefits that chlorophyll water does for you, I hope that you consider adding this green mixture into your daily routine. Here are some links for affordable chlorophyll supplements!

Amazon.com: Liquid Chlorophyll | 2 oz | Vegan, Non-GMO, and Gluten Free Formula | Natural Peppermint Flavor | by Horbaach : Health & Household ($8.99)

Spring Valley Fast Acting Liquid Chlorophyll Supplement, Peppermint Flavor, Green – 2 fl oz – Walmart.com ($9.88)

Liquid Chlorophyll (Natural Peppermint), 50 mg (per serving), 2 fl oz (59 mL) Dropper Bottle | PipingRock Health Products ($7.49)

Alysa Hammerquist

Illinois State '26

Alysa is a freshman at Illinois State University and when she isn't writing for Her Campus, you can find her reading a good book, watching new girl, or hitting the gym. Follow Alysa on Instagram @alysaxh for all things Her Campus.