This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

There are many different types of podcasts to listen to. The world of podcasts has evolved, especially in recent years. In particular, one form of podcast has been on the rise: the rewatch podcast. 

Rewatch podcasts are typically hosted by actors who starred in a certain TV show, and with each podcast episode, they go through each episode of their show and talk about it. Oftentimes, the hosts will also have guests who were involved in the making of the show, such as writers, other actors and directors. These podcasts also give fans new content about their favorite tv shows that have been canceled. 

In the past few years, rewatch podcasts have particularly become popular with a variety of beloved tv shows. These podcasts give the opportunity for listeners to hear behind-the-scenes information about the show. Along with that, viewers can revisit their love for the show and perhaps gain a new appreciation. It’s hilarious for viewers to see what their favorite actors do and don’t remember about their time on the show and listen to the banter of the actors. 

As someone who deeply loves many tv shows, rewatch podcasts have been a goldmine for me to listen to some of my favorite actors talk about some of my favorite tv moments. The entertainment industry fascinates me, so listening to a show’s writer or director talk about their process is also really interesting to me. I also love learning about behind-the-scenes information. Learning about what was happening in the actors’ lives at the time of a certain episode makes going back and watching the show more entertaining. 

There is an abundance of rewatch podcasts available to listen to. Here are my top three podcasts that I look forward to every week:

1. Welcome to Our Show 

This New Girl rewatch podcast was introduced in November 2021. It’s hosted by Zooey Deschanel (Jessica Day), Hannah Simone (Cece Parekh) and Lamorne Morris (Winston Bishop). They recap each episode, behind-the-scenes information and fan theories. They’ve had a variety of guests on their podcast and have done a couple of Q&As with each host. Although the show only ended in 2018, it is still amazing to have part of the cast together to talk about this amazing show. 

1. Pod Meets World 

I remember watching Boy Meets World for the first time as a little kid and instantly falling in love with it (or falling in love with Shawn Hunter). Watching Boy Meets World was a staple in my childhood. Now that there is a rewatch podcast, I get to relive that magic all over again. The podcast is hosted by Danielle Fishel (Topanga Lawrence), Will Friedle (Eric Matthews) and Rider Strong (Shawn Hunter). The group revisits their childhood on the iconic 90s sitcom. They have had many guests on the show to answer questions (Did Mr. Feeney live next door to the Matthews or behind them?) The podcast gives the viewers major nostalgia. It is so amazing to see these actors as adults reflecting on their childhood/teen years on the show. 

1. And That’s What You REALLY Missed

I think everyone who has seen Glee can agree that it is chaotic and has a lot of layers to it. Lucky for us, Kevin McHale (Artie Abrams) and Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang) are here to unveil the layers of the show. This iconic duo share stories on and off set, bring in special guests (beginning with creator Ryan Murphy in their first episodes) and talk about how the show’s success has changed their lives. 

Podcasts are one of my favorite ways to consume media. There are so many different podcasts with unique premises. However, rewatch podcasts may be one of the best genre trends. I mean, who doesn’t want to revisit some of the best shows in television history?

Sarah Knowlton

Illinois State '24

Hi I'm Sarah! I am a junior at Illinois State and I am majoring in Human Development and Family Science! After I finish my bachelor's degree, I plan to get my master's degree in Human Development and Family Science as well. Besides writing, I like to read, watch TikToks, make art, and bake!