This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s interesting to me how adults always have a story about themselves or their kids and how they changed their major like six times, and then became extremely successful in their career. They laugh about it. But honestly, it’s not that funny when you’re going through it yourself.

I’ve had three different majors at this point, but I’ve also considered about nine. I have been through hundreds of arguments with my parents as to what the right major is, what my career will be and all that jazz.

Here are the things I’ve learned through these experiences, and my advice to anyone stressing about their major or confused as to what to do.

It’s your life. Do what you want, not what others tell you to do. Easier said than done, I know. I’m lucky enough to have parents who ultimately support me in my decisions and help me through my schooling. Not everyone has the privilege to go to college, let alone choose whatever they want. But if you are in a position where you are choosing between what somebody else wants for you versus what you want, go with your gut. Trust me, I’ve been stuck in a few majors that were others’ decisions and it didn’t work out. I’ve learned that my parents want the best for me, but I know myself the best. I know where I will succeed and where I won’t.

It’s okay to not know, no matter your age. So what if I can’t articulate what I want to do with the rest of my life at the age of 20? The percentage of people who don’t actually end up doing in their career what they initially studied should be evidence enough that it’s okay to not know! I don’t even know what I want for breakfast tomorrow. Take it day by day, and don’t be afraid to try new things and decide they aren’t what you want to do. It’s sometimes just a process of elimination.

It won’t matter in the long run. It won’t. While it may feel embarrassing to be changing your major again, humiliating that you might have to stay an extra semester, these things are nothing compared to the rest of your life. Your career matters much more. If those adults can laugh about their major change, know that, eventually, you will be able to too. The day I finally chose the right major was the day I tuned out the worries of “What if I graduate after all my friends?” or “What if I’m in classes with a bunch of freshmen?” (I am, by the way.)

Don’t dwell on the idea of the “right” major. Because there isn’t a “right” major. Every major is valuable. You probably can succeed at multiple majors. Many people, as I said, go off on a completely different career path than the major they studied. I’ve tried to stop obsessing over the “right” decision and instead just focus on making my decision right. All I can do is give my all to the major I’ve chosen. Then, if it doesn’t work out, at least I’ll know it’s not because I just didn’t try.

I wish sometimes I had a looking glass to ten years from now. I wish I could see what my future career will be or if it is what I’m currently studying. I wonder if I’ll laugh about the number of times I changed my major or decided to try a different thing. If you’re currently in the process of changing your major, I wish you the best of luck. To be optimistic, it’s kind of cool that we get to say we studied all these different things in college! Jacks of all trades.

xo

Sophie

Sophie Dominguez

Illinois State '23

Junior at Illinois State University majoring in English & Public Relations! Follow me on Insta @sophieannadominguez <3