This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Solána Imani Rowe, also known as SZA is taking the world by storm. The American singer songwriter started making music in the 2010’s and has grown immensely throughout the years. I have been currently obsessed with SZA as of lately, therefore I wanted to speak upon the singer herself and her current album and my favorites from the album.

The singer from St. Louis, Missouri’s had her first big debut studio album Crtl, released in 2017, which was the second largest charting R&B album by a woman in US Billboard 200 history. The Crtl album had been nominated for various award nominations. She had released a few singles between 2020 and 2021 but no album since the 2017.

As of December 2022, SZA had released her recent album SOS. The R&B album consist of 23 amazing songs that I have been super into ever since I gave the album a listen. I listened to this album while I was on the train going home from the city and it was a great first listen.

Her SOS album reached number one of the Billboard top 200 charts. It broke records for the biggest streaming week for an R&B album. It has remained at the top of the charts for nine consecutive weeks. Her hits like “Kill Bill” and “Nobody Gets Me” have been remaining as top ten hits on the Billboard Global charts.

Songs from the album I have been blasting lately that I definitely recommend include, “Low”, “Love Language”, “Snooze”, “Nobody Gets Me”, “F2F”, “Blind”, and “Ghost in the Machine”. But there are no bad hits on this album. Those are a few I have been personally listening to repeat as of lately. I wanted to give SZA the praise she so very much deserves. She is an astonishing artist of our current generation and someone that I now really enjoy listening to. I am eager to see how her career continues to launch her further.

Lexi Jurkus

Illinois State '24

Hi, I am Lexi Jurkus. I am an English Teacher Education major at Illinois State University. I have loved writing since I was young, writing is like therapy to me. Therefore, I wanted to open myself up to the opportunity to try different ways to expand my writing!