danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It is week three here at the ilstu, and for most freshmen or new students, you are probably getting adjusted and used to college life here in Blono. All of the craziness of welcome week and syllabus week have died down, and now it is starting to hit us that we actually have to do school work. There is so much to do in Blono that it is almost impossible to get bored. If you are a new student here at Illinois State, here are some things you can do in your free time.

1. Hang out on the Quad

The Quad is one of the most popular places to sit in between classes. It is almost always full of life during the nice weather. Many people hang hammocks from the tree branches and relax during their off hours. Did you know there is a hammock club? (IG: @hammockingclubisu). The Quad is a great place to hang, do homework, and just enjoy campus life while you can before the harsh Illinois winter hits.

via @hammockingclubisu on Instagram​

2. Meet New People

This is always a hard one for people. It is really hard to step out of your comfort zone if you are introverted or just scared of making a bad first impression. Meeting new people is always difficult, but it is actually really convenient to meet people at Illinois State. You can, leave your dorm room open and meet the guys/girls who live around you. Dorm life is a super-easy way to meet people. Most freshmen live in the dorms, so everyone is in the same nervous boat you are in trying to find friends.

Another way to meet new people is by joining an RSO. By joining a sport or club that interests you, you find other people who are interested in the same things you are and will make conversation a whole lot easier.

via Her Campus ISU

3. Go Shopping

There are so many places to shop in Blono. You can find anything you want here. For those who do not own a car, Uptown actually has cute boutiques and ISU sports stores to purchase all of your ISU gear. Pro tip from a sophomore at Illinois State: Do NOT spend your money if you do not have a lot to spend. Clubs, Ubers, food, and more take up a lot of money. If you do not have the extra money to buy that $30 ISU sweatshirt, don’t buy it. You might need extra money later for more important things. But, if you do have some money to spend, check out Uptown’s boutiques or check out the mall!

4. Hit the Books

Alright, you probably skipped past this one after reading the title, but if you are still here, hey. I know this sounds super boring, but trust me, getting your work done early helps out so much in the long run. If you take the time to study early, you will have more free time later in the day. Popular places to study are The Milner Library (duh), The Rec, Quad, or The Bone. So grab a Starbucks drink, your earbuds, and spend some time going over that Bio lecture.

via Jessica Hogeboom

Those are just some basics things to try and do during your time here at Illinois State. We are so excited to see all of the new faces and hope your year goes by smoothly and successful!

Lot’s of Love,

Jess ♡

Jessica Hogeboom

Illinois State '22

ISU 2022 | Elementary Education Follow me on Instagram : @jesshogeboom
Contributor account for Illinois State