This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Summer has always been the season bursting with the hottest clothing trends that are flaunted across all of social media. And this year, the summer of 2021 in particular is about to be one of the best. Because even if you’re quarantined, you can still make your Instagram pop by keeping up with all of the latest styles listed below. 

Knitted Crop Tops

Knitted crop tops, like the one worn on the queen of Pinterest Emma Chamberlain, are undoubtedly making their debut this summer. And if you’re one of the many talented individuals who know how to knit or crochet, then you’re in luck for this one. The short sleeves and cropped hem are perfect for keeping you cool, while the cushier material can still provide a touch of warmth in the AC.

Capri Sweatpants

They’re comfy, non-restricting and, if you pair them with a cute bikini like influencer Olivia Rouyre, then you’re set for a perfect day by the pool or beach. It’s almost like wearing half of your pajamas out, and who doesn’t love a pajama day? Also, there’s the unlimited options of different colors to get so you can mix and match to your heart’s desire. 

High Waisted Bikinis

Speaking of lounging by the pool, the best way to do that is in a stunning high waisted bikini, as seen on pop singer Olivia Rodrigo. Just like how low rise jeans went out of style ages ago, so did low rise bikinis. This trend is undoubtedly one of the best, because you’ll look amazing and have no awkward tan lines. 

Maxi Skirts

While tennis style skirts always make a statement, a flowy, animal-print maxi skirt, like the one beauty influencer Delaney Childs has on, is going to be a staple in so many wardrobes this season. It’s cute and still on the modest side, and it allows your legs to breathe in the hot summer air. Pair it with a crop top, your favorite pair of sandals and maybe a sun hat, and you now have the trendiest outfit for taking a nice stroll on the beach. 

Halter Wrap Tops

This cute and creative top worn by Bachelor alum Brittany Galvin is sure to turn heads anywhere you go. A great piece to wear it with would be a patterned maxi skirt as mentioned above, or just your favorite pair of mom jeans. These tops have gained a lot of popularity as summer grows nearer, and it’s sure to keep your midriff cool when the weather gets too hot to handle. 

With life slowly but surely going back to normal, you shouldn’t waste any time not having an up-to-date wardrobe. Even in a pandemic, it’s still easy to throw on an iconic outfit and do a photoshoot in your backyard to brighten up your followers’ feeds. Summer is definitely my favorite season to shed that winter slump, and the best way to do that is by upgrading my style. Any of the aforementioned social media influencers/celebs are the perfect fashion inspiration, and before you know it, you could be the next hottest trendsetter. 

Grace Thompson

Illinois State '24

Hi! My name's Grace, and I am a sophomore at Illinois State University, studying Public Health and hoping to go into the epidemiology field. I am from Elgin, IL, about 45 minutes from Chicago. Some things I love are shopping, traveling, and playing with my dog while I'm at home. Joining Her Campus at ISU is something I am so happy that I did, because I met so many amazing girls and am able to write articles I am passionate about that will hopefully inspire others! Feel free to check out my Instagram if you'd like! @gracecthompsonn
Contributor account for Illinois State