StressED: How To Deal With Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We are nearing the home stretch of second semester with only six weeks left until summer! Tests are coming at you left and right, your mom is nagging you about a summer job, and you’re overwhelmed with it all. Well, not to worry. There are many ways that you can deal with everyday stressors. Sometimes we just need a break!

If it’s school you are worried about, take a deep breath. Remember: It’s more than okay to take breaks! Do not try to study everything all at once because your brain will explode! Okay not literally, but you need to give it time to rest and process the information. When you are studying or brainstorming for that ridiculous twenty-page paper, take a step back, breathe, and make yourself a nice warm cup of tea or hot chocolate.

Reward yourself. Set a goal for your readings and mark the pages into sections. After you’ve completed your goal, reward yourself with a small treat. Eat a Starburst, check the latest gossip on Facebook or Twitter, read the latest Her Campus article, do a few jumping jacks, stretch it out and keep going!

Do not stress about the things you cannot control! If you are worried or stressing out about a test you already took or a final you are unsure about, take it as it comes. You can’t spend your time worrying about things that you’ve done in the past or the things that are far ahead. Stick to staying in each moment and making the things you do now, count for something later.

Be proactive. Don’t wait until the end of summer to find a job. Call around now before everyone else starts to apply. Don’t wait until the last minute for anything!

Make a list! Do NOT keep everything in that mental checklist of yours and think, “Oh I’ll remember to do that.” No. You won’t. With everything you are stressed about you can’t expect yourself to remember all of the things you have to do! Get a cute planner, like the Vera Wang  ones, and plan your day out.  It makes planning so much more fun when your notebooks are cute, am I wrong?

Exercise. Make time to go for a walk or a run. Exercise helps get you in gear for a study session.  You’ll be much more inclined to work on the things that need to be done rather than give in to that tempting afternoon nap. It is scientifically proven that exercise releases endorphins that reduce stress levels and put you in a good mood. You definitely won’t find yourself nodding off in class after a good work out.  Yoga classes at the Student Recreation Center are a lifesaver. If you’re not into working out (or bending in ways that your body shouldn’t bend…) take a walk around and give your brain a rest.

With the semester rapidly coming to an end avoid unnecessary stress. Remember to breathe, relax, reward yourself and keep working through it. Only a few weeks until we are done! 

Alexandria Jenkins

Illinois State

Megan Lawler

Illinois State