Stay Organized: Starting Off the Semester Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you start out every semester the same way. You buy a planner, arrive in class early and tell yourself how productive you’re going to be. I also always tell myself that after every class I am going to go home and reread all the notes I just took. Sound familiar? I am going to give you some tips for ACTUALLY staying organized this semester. I know at times they can be hard to follow, but they will definitely pay off in the long run!

1. Buy a planner

Every time I buy a planner, I use it for a week or so and then I somehow tell myself I don’t need to write anything down, I’ll just remember it. Obviously, that’s a terrible tactic in remembering homework and when things are due. A planner can help you keep on track. Once you get in a habit of writing all of your assignments in your planner, there’s a much better chance you will remember all of the assignments you need to do.

2. Avoid procrastination

It’s very common to get assignments a few weeks in advance. It’s also really common to procrastinate until a few days before! I know spending hours on Pinterest seems like a top priority sometimes, but if you do your assignments earlier, you’ll feel a lot less guilty about all the free time you have.

3. Read for your classes

It happens so often in classes that teachers assign weekly readings. I always start the reading, gradually continue to skim it, then just stop reading it all together. Because a lot of the readings teachers give usually end up on your exams, this always hurts in the long run. Read the assigned sections and you’ll have a lot better understanding what is going to be on the exam.

4. Print out the syllabus

I always find myself having to go online to download the syllabus every time I want to know when something is due. Chances are, if you keep your syllabus with you in your notebook, you’ll be way more likely to remember what is due each class.

5. Keep your room clean

I don’t know about you, but something about a messy room makes me want to lie in my bed and watch movies all day! When my room is clean, I have much more motivation to stay productive. Keep it clean and it’s much more likely that you’ll get things done.

6. Buy a dry erase board calendar

After buying one, put it somewhere you can see it. Write down the due dates of important tests, quizzes and projects. If someone asks you if you’re busy a certain day, it’s a lot more difficult to commit to plans when you can visualize what is due. You don’t want to make the mistake of planning a visit to a different school one weekend and then forget you have a huge test the following Monday!