This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Applying for jobs can be a very daunting process, especially when you are entering the workforce for the first time in your life. The job market can be very intimidating and overwhelming, you may not even know where to start. It’s important to know to cut yourself some slack throughout this experience because there is no right or wrong way to go about this; however, there are some tips and tricks to help you get started.

I’m sure you have heard of LinkedIn, this website is a must during the job search. If you don’t have a LinkedIn account, make one! It will help keep you organized and accountable. With LinkedIn, you can personalize what kind of jobs you are looking for and the location of them to ensure you are finding opportunities most accustomed to your wants. It’s also a great website for networking which can increase the chances of you getting a position, simply based on a LinkedIn connection. Making a profile is very simple, and even if you are confused at first you will get the hang of it and be on the receiving end of job notifications every day. 

Making a LinkedIn in is just the first step, make sure you are taking advantage of all the recourses you have. If your school hosts career fairs, go to them; you never know what can happen from a simple introduction. Bring your resume, dress nice and head over to the career fairs with your best foot forward and a positive attitude. If you are scared of talking to people, fake it till you make it. You’d be surprised where a simple conversation can take you, I always think what’s the worst that could happen? You have nothing to lose, so might as well put yourself out there.

If you prefer to reach out online first to companies, I would advise personal outreach. Look at a company you are interested in a send them an email expressing your interest in the company or just to ask to chat for a little on the phone to find more information on the culture of their organization and how the steps you should take to work there. Sometimes applying to jobs is simply not enough, you want to take initiative; show the company how interested and dedicated you are in working for them. It can be a very scary thing to reach out due to fear of rejection, but like I said you have nothing to lose and only something to gain so you might as well step outside of your comfort zone.

Overall, I think the most important aspect of job searching is confidence, you need to have faith in yourself otherwise how do you expect employers to? You have to learn to advocate for yourself, regardless of how you feel about yourself, everyone has something to offer to an organization you just have to learn how to communicate that to the employer. Have your resume reviewed by someone else if you feel it isn’t strong enough, keep applying if you get rejected, don’t give up on yourself, and remember good things come to those who wait. 

Best of Luck, V

Hi, I'm Vanesa! I am currently a Communication major at Illinois State University. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus team because writing has always been a huge passion for me and now I have an opportunity to showcase that and grow as a writer. Besides writing, I love horror movies, dramatic tv shows, and iced coffee. I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them so stay tuned for more! xoxo, V