Smiling with Starbucks
Smiling with Starbucks
Original photo by Emily Mepham

Starbucks Recommendations From My Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Whether you’re someone who has never been to Starbucks or someone who always gets the same drink when you go, this is for you! I asked all my friends their favorite Starbucks orders and here’s what we came up with. 

For the coffee lovers:

Salted Caramel Cream Cold Brew (with 6 pumps of vanilla & extra foam) 

This is normally my go-to, as it’s not as expensive as other drinks and is the perfect balance of strong but sweet. 

Caramel Ribbon Crunch (add an espresso shot for an extra boost!) 

This drink is very sweet, and it might be getting a little too cold to drink this all the time, but it is the perfect treat when you’re not interested in a super bold coffee in the afternoon! 

Upside Down Caramel Macchiato (with extra caramel and vanilla sweet cream cold foam)

This is a mouthful to order, but it’s honestly worth it when you want a drink that’ll give you a boost but also satisfy your sweet tooth. 

For those that need a refresher:

Strawberry Açaí Refresher with Lemonade (with light ice, no fruit, and two pumps of raspberry)

This was THE drink for everyone I knew for a time. It’s already a good drink but the modifications make it great.

Pink Drink (no fruit) 

Oh, the classic. I don’t think this drink is going anywhere any time soon but with the number of people who always say no berries, they should just get rid of the freeze-dried nightmares forever.

Mango Dragonfruit Refresher with Lemonade (no fruit)

There are so many different refreshers now (the most popular with lemonade),  but I will always be down for anything mango.

For the sweet, but not too sweet, ones: 

Black Tea Lemonade

Not too much caffeine, not too sweet, not too bitter—the perfect in-between!

Iced Chai Latte (with two pumps of caramel) (and maybe oat milk) 

This drink might take some getting used to, but the spice and sweetness really balance each other out for the perfect drink when you want caffeine, but not too much! 

(White) Hot Chocolate

You can’t go wrong with a classic, especially with the winter months coming up fast. It may be nostalgic, but you’re never too old for a hot chocolate!

Next time you visit Starbucks on campus, don’t forget to try one of these! Who knows? Maybe you’ll find your new favorite drink and you’ll have my friends to thank!

Emily Mepham

Illinois State '25

Hi! My name is Emily and I am an English major at Illinois State University. Obviously, as an English major, I do a lot of writing and, thankfully, I love it! My entire personality consists of coffee, Disney, and Taylor Swift. I hope you enjoy my writing at least half as much as I enjoy writing it! <3 em