So your little isn’t “littler” than you, so what?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Everyone that’s experienced getting a little knows it can be one of the most exciting things about joining a sorority. The thought of having someone you can coddle and care for as if they were that little sister you never had, but always lowkey wanted. Some sororities even refer to Big and Little as Mom and Daught, giving the the upper pledge class the feeling of having a “daughter” of their own to guide through the confusing process of joining a sorority. So, what if your little is the same age as you?  what advice could you possibly have to help someone that’s just as old as you are? As someone who’s had that thought before, I know exactly what you mean. I got caught up in the mindset of NEEDING a little that was younger than me so I could be that “mom” figure to her when it came to anything and everything that had to do with greek life, college life, and just life in general.  When I was introduced to my current little, I dismissed the idea of her being my little simply because she was my age. Once our new members started being introduced to all the initially overwhelming aspects to being in greek life, I soon realized it doesn’t matter the age, all the new members were just as confused and scared about joining a sorority. No matter the age, everyone needed some guidance and help to get through that first stressful semester. After I got to know my current little more, I realized how similar we were and began to entertain the idea of her being my little. This ended up being one of the best decisions I have ever made, not only did she come to me for advice and questions, we were able to relate to each other because of our similarity in age. Now that I consider her to be one of my closest friends, I realized I get  the best of both worlds with her being my little. So ladies, when big little comes rolling around, don’t let the idea of your little needing to be younger than you to qualify as a little cause you to pass up on an amazing person. If you can get over that idea, you might just be lucky enough to end up with not only a little, but a best friend as well.  

Contributor account for Illinois State