Six shows to go see if you can’t afford Hamilton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Don’t have the money to go see Hamilton, but you still want to see a musical this summer? Here are six other amazing (and cheaper) shows that you can go see:

Anastasia

Cheapest ticket price: $99

Anastasia is a brand-new show that is getting a lot of buzz. This music was adapted from the well-known movie based on true facts. The musical is an adventure and romance-filled Broadway experience. This musical is still not as known, since its debut in March, so get your tickets now before it is a bigger hit.

Dear Evan Hansen

Cheapest ticket price: $129

Dear Evan Hansen is like Hamilton, as it became a hit over night. This musical is a story about a high school senior with social anxiety disorder, who finds himself in the middle of the turmoil that follows a classmate’s death. This musical is becoming as big as Hamilton, so get your tickets before it gets increasingly more expensive.

Amelie A New Musical

Cheapest ticket price: $49.50

If you never got to see Phillipa Soo as Eliza Hamilton in Hamilton, you can now see her as Amelie. Amelie is based on a 2001 romantic comedy, and opened on Broadway in March. Amelie is young woman who lives quietly in the world. She improvises small acts of kindness that bring joy and mayhem. When a chance at love comes her way, Amelie realizes that she will have to risk everything and say what’s in her hear to find happiness.

Beautiful: The Carole King Musical

Cheapest ticket price: $69

Beautiful is a musical about the woman who would become Carole King the superstar. Beautiful tells the inspiring true story of King’s remarkable rise to stardom, from being part of a hit songwriting team with her husband Gerry Goffin, to her relationship with fellow writers and best friends Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann, to becoming one of the most successful solo acts in popular music history. The soundtrack to this musical features some of King’s and Weil’s greatest works in their career.

The Book of Mormon

Cheapest ticket price: $69

The Book of Mormon has been around since 2011 but is still a popular show that people should see. The story follows two Mormon missionaries as they attempt to share their scriptures with people of a remote Ugandan village. The young men are challenged by the lack of interest of the locals, who are more worried about their troubles, such as AIDS, famine, and oppression.

Waitress

Cheapest ticket price: $99

Inspired by Adrienne Shelly’s beloved film, Waitress tells the story of Jenna, a waitress and expert pie maker who dreams of a way out of her small town and loveless marriage. A baking contest in a nearby county and the town’s new doctor may offer her a chance at a fresh start, while her fellow waitresses offer their own recipes for happiness. But Jenna must summon the strength and courage to rebuild her own life. Waitress’s songs were written by pop star Sara Bareilles, who is making her Broadway debut as Jenna in Waitress. Bareilles will be in the role of Jenna until June 11th, so get your tickets now to see Bareilles in the hit role.

Going to see Hamilton would a great musical to see, but who wants to pay an arm and leg for a three-hour show. Try and go see these other musicals while you wait for Hamilton ticket prices to drop in price.

Contributor account for Illinois State