This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

According to the dictionary, being grateful can be defined as feeling or showing an appreciation of kindness, or being thankful. As Thanksgiving is coming up, we tell and show others what we are most grateful for. I could make a list of 100 things I am grateful for, but I am just going to focus on a few that I am thankful for every single day.

My Parents

Big s/o to the rents. I am so incredibly thankful for everything that my parents do for me. They taught me what kindness is, what unconditional love is, and what is right from wrong. They both have supported me all throughout my life, and if I am half the parent that they were to me, then I would be forever thankful. There are not enough words to say to sum up my appreciation for everything they do for me.

My siblings

Thanks for making family parties more fun! So incredibly thankful to have my brother and sister in my life, and the relationship that I have built with them throughout the years. I can always count on them, and they are a great support system. Even when we are all away at different colleges and miles apart, they still never fail to make me smile from all the memes they send in the group chat, or just simply checking in.

My grandparents

“Grandparents are a delightful blend of laughter, caring deeds, wonderful stories, and love!” I always look forward to seeing my grandparents, and am extremely appreciative for everything they do for me. My grandparents taught me what true love is, and never fail to show me how loved I am by them and my family.

My friends

From my friends at home to my college friends, I am so grateful for every friendship that I have. I cherish all the memories I have created, and all the laughter that gets shared. I am thankful that I have friends that are always there for me whenever I need them, and I can always count on them.

Coffee

I don’t know what I would do without my daily cup of coffee (or 2…or 3). Coffee gets me through the days, and helps me crank out homework/studying that needs to be done. Iced coffee from Starbucks is truly a girl’s best friend.

The feeling after a good run

Runner’s high is a real thing. There is no better feeling than putting in headphones and going on a long run to clear your head or relieve stress. I always feel so accomplished after having a good run. I also remember that even if I have a bad run, it is better than no run at all.

My emotions

Sometimes my emotions can be all over the place, but I am grateful that I can experience happiness to see the beauty in life, and also experience sadness as it taught me that it is a normal emotion and that everyone experiences it. Like how the movie Inside Out portrays it, you need to experience sadness to feel happiness.

A good book

This to me is any Kristin Hannah book. I have finished most of her books within 3-5 days because I couldn’t put it down, that’s how good they were. Catch me curled up in a blanket reading a book with a cup of coffee in my hand.

Traveling

I am so thankful for having the opportunity to travel to different places in the world and all the experiences I have gained from it. Traveling is so eye opening and I am grateful that I am able to go to Ireland and see my aunts and uncles, and all my cousins. That is honestly true happiness right there; being able to go there and spend time with them.

“Gratefulness is the key to a happy life that we hold in our hands because if we are not grateful, then no matter how much we have we will not be happy—because we will always want to have something else or something more.” There are so many things to be grateful for, and it’s important to feel grateful not only on Thanksgiving, but every day. I challenge you to make a list of all that you’re grateful for, and when you wake up every morning, look at it. Look at how many things bring you a feeling of gratitude. I guarantee it will put a smile on your face and start your day off right.

Contributor account for Illinois State