Sexual Abuse: What You Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

April is Sexual Abuse Awareness Month. In hopes of spreading awareness to ISU students, we have written an article about some things you need to know. 

“Healing from sexual assault is impeded by silence, denial and self-blame.  Healing is helped by seeking the support of others.  One of the most important things a survivor of sexual assault can do is seek help and support.” (ISU Student Counseling Services)

Sexual assault is not something to ignore. From July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2011, there have been 21 reported acts of sexual abuse at ISU. It is even more unfortunate that more most likely occurred but went unreported.

If you or someone you know has been a victim of sexual abuse, you are strongly encouraged to report it immediately. If you have been a victim, here are the steps you should take:

• Consider reporting the assault to police by telephoning 911.  Reporting can aid your recovery and prevent others from being assaulted too.  If you have been assaulted on campus you may telephone the ISU Police at 911 or (309) 438-8631 .  If the assault occurred in Bloomington or Normal, telephone 911 or (309) 888-5030.
  • Know that most university faculty and staff must report incidents of sexual assault to the Office of Equal Opportunity, Ethics and Access (OEOEA).
  •  The university is committed to both supporting your well-being, safety and acting to ensure the safety of our campus community. Therefore, it has established procedures for addressing incidents of sexual misconduct/assault and relationship violence.  The survivor, however, determines his/her level of participation in this process. Sexual Assault Prevention and Survivor Services and counselors are not required to report incidents to OEOEA.
  •  Try to preserve all physical evidence. Do no bathe, shower, use the toilet or change clothing.  If you must remove your clothing, place them in a paper bag to prevent deterioration of evidence.
  • Take care of yourself.  Seek medical attention from a hospital, Student Health Service, or another health care provider.  Student Health Service cannot complete the rape evidence collection kit (rape kit).  A rape crisis advocate can be called to help you through this process at the hospital.  Medical and follow up care are needed whether or not you report the assault
  •  Talk to someone through the ISU Student Counseling Services

Visit http://counseling.illinoisstate.edu/sexual-assault/ to obtain more resources about sexual abuse such as:

• How to help a friend who has been sexually assaulted
  • Education about alcohol use and the date rape drug
  • Educational tools such as Campus Safety Awareness videos
  • Myths and facts about rape
  • Risk reduction strategies
  • Counseling services
  • You can contact http://shs.illinoisstate.edu/ to make an appointment at the health center to detect possible STD’s or unwanted pregnancies.
  • How men can deal with sexual abuse (Remember, although women are the more common victims, men can still be victims of sexual abuse.)
  • And much more

Remember, sexual violence is not something to ignore. It is not something to be ashamed of and it is NOT your fault. Help is readily available as you begin your recovery process.