This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

There is a very popular saying, “The most important meal of the day is breakfast!” This saying is not only because of nutrition! Breakfast is the first thing you start your day out with.  I have noticed the more positive of a tone that I start my day on, the better my day is as a whole. Here are some ways that you can start your day off on a positive note:

Eat a Well-Balanced Breakfast!

One of my easiest and favorite breakfast meals to eat in the morning is overnight oats! There are so many variations and they are high protein and low calorie! You just add your preferred amount of oats and choice of milk ratio, some honey or sugar-free maple syrup as a sweetener, and a flavor booster! For a flavor booster, you can use fruits (my favorite are strawberries and blueberries), cinnamon, peanut butter, etc! 

Write Some Daily Affirmations! 

It is important to take a moment to think positively and engage in self-empowerment. When I think about myself positively I notice that the world around me gets increasingly brighter. One way that I engage in affirmations is by writing them in a journal. Some days I will even reflect on what I can do better that day to grow! 

Listen to Music!

Recently, I have been putting in some headphones and listening to music while I am getting ready for school. Who can not be happy when they are having a mini-dance party? Start your day getting energized!

Drink Your Favorite Morning Beverage!

I toggle between preferring tea and coffee. If you do not like caffeine you can reach for orange juice, smoothies, hot chocolate. I know that the days I plan to pick up Dunkin’ before school always turn out to be good days. 

My final tip for you is something that you can do at the end of the day to start tomorrow on a positive note and in my opinion, this suggestion is the most important. 

Forgive Yourself 

If you tried some of the above suggestions or even one not listed and your day still is not to swell, take a deep breath. It is important to remind yourself that there is always tomorrow, you can try again tomorrow. Even on top of that, you can always learn something from a bad day. Did something go wrong? Write it down! Write down how you felt, what happened, what you did as a result of that event. Reflecting on an off day can help future you recognize how to try and avoid bumming situations or how to grow from a situation.

It is inevitable that we will have bad days, but try to be active in what you can control. Start each day on a fresh and positive note, I believe in you! 
Madison Zoot

Illinois State '21

Future Educator! <3
Contributor account for Illinois State