This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Have you ever seen chalk on the quad? No, not the simple club/organization meeting times written to get people’s attention. I’m talking chalk on the quad that is a dusty masterpiece of color, thought, and meaning. Maybe something like this: 

They’re hard to ignore, so if you’ve seen them we wouldn’t be surprised. We have been wondering was behind all of this chalky madness. There is no question that she had to be our campus profile of the week, considering everybody is noticing her work around campus. Luckily, we have hunted her down and are excited for the campus to finally put a face to the famous chalk murals. Through this exclusive interview it is only natural to see that she is just as amazing as her work with a brilliant faith and positivity in all things. Meet Sarah, an art addict we can’t help but adore. 

Name: Sarah Kuhlmann

Age: 21

Year in School: Junior  

Hometown: Mokena, Illinois

Major: Graphic Design     

Relationship status: Single

Fun fact: I’ve never been on a roller coaster (that fact isn’t really fun…it’s kind of depressing).

Her Campus Illinois State: So, Sarah, what got you started into doing such intricate chalk art on the quad? Do you spend a lot of money on chalk?

Sarah Kuhlmann: I started in October of 2015 and to be honest it was one of those situations where I thought about doing something and then I just did it, turning it into a love of mine.

Thankfully, I don’t spend that much money on chalk!

I suppose it’s good that I prefer cheap chalk over expensive high quality chalk. The consistency in their makeup is different and I think I’ll stick with Crayola chalk my whole life.

HC ISU: Besides drawing on campus, we can often find you working at Coffee House in Uptown. How do you take your coffee? Are you addicted to caffeine?

SK: If I have to take it black, I will, but a dash of cream is good for me.

My caffeine addiction has gotten better since my freshman year – back then I’d drink seven cups in one day now I’m at about four. So yes? No?

Coffee is just good. 

HC ISU: Which do you prefer: eating salsa or dancing to it on a Saturday night?

SK: Omg, let me eat all of the salsa.

HC ISU: I’ve noticed that most of your chalk murals are of people or body parts. Why is that? What do you hope to capture, or give to the campus, with these drawings?

SK: I just really enjoy drawing people, capturing expression, drawing the eyes – it is something so hard to explain there is something within me that just wants to draw people. I’m constantly given inspiration by the diverse community we have here at ISU.  

HC ISU: What’s the best song to sing in the shower?

SK: Bohemian Rhapsody.

HC ISU: I know that you’re a part of Encounter, our campus Christian ministry. What’s your favorite part about it?

SK:  Being surrounded by people who love where it isn’t self-serving or vapid– I’ve been loved and loved well by this community and have learned about my God in a way that I have never experienced before. There is so much growth offered at Encounter. The love of God can be felt there.

My chalk art is actually worship for me. I am not talented in any other way and this thing, my art is such a gift from the Lord. If you notice on all of my artwork I sign it with AGTG which means all glory to God   

HC ISU: If there was a zombie apocalypse, where is the first place you would go? Would you want anyone with you?

SK: I am 100% positive I would be the first one to die…but if I were to survive I’d hide in the CVA there’s a ton of good places to hide and hunker down for the apocalypse.

HC ISU: On a scale of 1-10 how much to you like that the 90’s choker trend has come back full swing?

SK: Probably a 7.

(come talk to me when hammer pants are back in style)

So, there you have it folks. The beautiful soul behind all of the mysterious murals on campus. Next time you see some of her work, take a picture and share it on social media! Spreading the love, art, and positivity that Sarah sprinkles around ISU is the least we can do to support her efforts and creative nature. Thank you so much to Sarah for her kindness and enthusiasm while creating this article. Her Campus has been lucky to work with you and share your story with Illinois State!

Katie Sall

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State