Sam Mahoney: Nailed By Sam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

She’s a student, she’s young, and she sure is talented. We had the opportnunity to interview Sam Mahoney, an ISU student who has made a name for herself as an amazing nail artist. Read on to find out how Sam got interested in painting nails and see more pictures of her incredible work. If you want to learn more about her nail services and what she can do, click here http://www.facebook.com/pages/… like her page! 

HerCampus ISU: Ok after looking through all of your nail photos and my friend’s nails (done by you) I have so many questions for you! To start off, exactly how old were you when you started painting and designing nails?

Sam Mahoney: Painting and designing nails? I can’t give you an exact age; I was very little. I used to go with my mom when she would get her nails done and I would get mine painted. I would watch what they did very carefully so I could go home and know how to do the designs.

HC: That’s pretty observant if you ask me! Did someone or something inspire you or was it just simply a random talent that you happened to pick up on?

SM: Like I mentioned earlier, nails have been a part of my life since I was very little. As I aged, the designs became more intricate.

HC: Challenging yourself with new designs is always a good feeling. Where did you get the money to start everything!? Are the tools expensive?

SM: Well, the money came from my part-time job (which was more like full-time). The tools aren’t too bad; the supplies are the killer. But, I must say…this is an extremely expensive hobby! I never stop buying.

HC: I know, I feel like I never stop buying nail polish! We know you paint nails, but what else can you do with nails!?

SM: Acrylics. I haven’t got myself into gel yet because it is too expensive, and I think any college girls would not take the more expensive route. I have never failed to meet a challenge any girl has ever brought to me. So, whatever you want me to do with your nails.

HC: That’s pretty impressive! What’s your most popular service that people usually ask for?

SM: The most popular service would be acrylics – and they usually ask for full sets. Girls at this age (and especially if they’re new to the nail game) don’t keep up with their nails. Some don’t even know what a fill is. So, it’s pretty normal to see a girl for a full set, and not see her for a month because she had taken them off and wants a new set.

HC: About how many appointments do you get during a week?

SM: The only downside of what I do is the consistency. There is no average of nail appointments I have per week. It isn’t rare for me to have a ton of nail appointments one week and one or two the next.

HC: Have you ever painted a guy’s nails before!?

SM: I sure have. Of course, they make me swear it to secrecy! Actually, it’s very common for guys to want a “clean up” which is just a manicure without polish!

HC: That’s too funny! Alright, I know how hectic school gets when I have more than one test a week or assignment due… how exactly do you manage your time!?

SM: Time management has been a real challenge for me. A few weeks ago, I reached the highest number of appointments I’ve ever had in a week’s time – 16! Unfortunately, I did have multiple tests, which didn’t turn out so good. So really, I test my waters to see what I know I can handle, and what I can’t.

HC: I give you so much credit for that. Could you see yourself opening up your own business in the near future or would you rather just keep this talent as a side job?

SM: I will open a salon in the near future! Me and my mom are planning to open an all-service salon – hair, nails, make-up, esthetics, and possibly tanning, all in one salon.

HC: That’s so exciting! What’s your major here at ISU?

SM: I’m studying business here so I can take my knowledge from what I obtain through classes and apply it to the business I will open in the near future.

HC: That’s a smart idea. Now here’s a good question, do you paint/do your own nails or do you get them done? You better treat yourself every once in a while!

SM: I do my own! I do treat myself to a pedicure here and there, but for the most part, I know how to do everything myself and its fun for me. I often say, “Doing nails is my therapy.”

HC: If you could paint your nails only ONE color for the rest of your life, what color would it be?

SM: Pink or Red…I can’t choose!

HC: I agree, I change mine at LEAST once a week! This is a little question we ask all of our celebrities, but who is your favorite actor/actress?

SM: Will Ferrell. I love that man! He never fails to make me laugh.

Photographs taken from Nailed By Sam Facebook Page