Sabrina Carpenter is Exactly What the Music Industry Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I have been following Sabrina Carpenter’s journey in the entertainment world for many years now. She has been very successful in singing and acting and has been involved in some very well-known projects. Despite Sabrina’s lengthy filmography, discography and millions of followers on her social media accounts, she is still underrated by the general public. I think Sabrina Carpenter deserves the IT girl treatment, and I think we are heading in that direction. 

Sabrina has always been popular amongst her fans who follow her projects consistently, but I don’t feel like she has gotten the recognition from the general public that she deserves. 2021 was pretty much the first year she was getting noticed by the general population, but not for her talents, for an alleged celebrity scandal with Olivia Rodrigo and Joshua Bassett. She was tormented on social media and by mass media, thus sending audiences to repel away from her projects. The negative attention was frustrating as a Sabrina fan, as she has done a lot of amazing work that was being overshadowed by nonsensical drama. 

After Sabrina released her fifth studio album, Emails I Can’t Send, she started to get a lot of positive feedback and reactions to her art. Some of the general public began to see her amazing songwriting and storytelling abilities. Positive album reviews began coming out of many major media companies, and Sabrina was reclaiming her spot in the entertainment industry after many obstacles. The positive reactions were very well deserved as this has been her best album to date. Through all of this, Sabrina has found her sound, her message, her voice and some more fans. 

However, it felt like the Sabrina craze calmed down a bit about a month after the album. She wasn’t a huge topic of conversation, and things went back to how they were pre-drama. Now, I am not saying this is a terrible thing, Sabrina gained the most attention she had probably ever received, made personal records and gained many new dedicated fans. She still doesn’t get enough recognition in general for who she is and what she does though. 

Sabrina should get more recognition because of the amazing performer that she is. Currently, she is on her Emails I Can’t Send Tour, and if you watch any clips of her performance you can see how much she loves performing and how great she is at it too. She does an amazing job of capturing the audience’s attention and filling the room with energy. 

She is very experimental with her music, and her sound is so appealing to a variety of people. She is also a fantastic storyteller. Her lyrics are so detailed that you can perfectly paint a picture in your head, and they are lyrics the listeners can apply to their own lives. Her newest album is especially raw and vulnerable and shows who she is at her core. 

Sabrina also has a fantastic personality and is such a new personality the entertainment industry needs more of. To start, she is very funny and witty. When she’s speaking in an interview, she is always throwing around jokes. She also gives off very down-to-earth and carefree energy. She doesn’t care about being the best or winning, she just wants to create. 

Overall, Sabrina Carpenter has had somewhat of a second rise to fame in the past few years. However, she is still not super well known and recognized by the general public. I think that she has qualities that should raise her to IT girl status.

Sarah Knowlton

Illinois State '24

Hi I'm Sarah! I am a junior at Illinois State and I am majoring in Human Development and Family Science! After I finish my bachelor's degree, I plan to get my master's degree in Human Development and Family Science as well. Besides writing, I like to read, watch TikToks, make art, and bake!