Red Bull Flying Bach – The Flying Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

This past weekend, I had the privilege of seeing one of the most intriguing performances I have seen in my life. I attended Red Bull Flying Bach featuring The Flying Steps. There are no words to even describe how amazing it was but I will try. Flying Bach is a clash of cultures where classical music meets break-dancing. I know what you are thinking: how can a fast pace dance such as break-dancing be paired with classical music? Those were my thoughts exactly until I was absolutely wowed this past Saturday as I sat fourth row at The Flying Steps, an award winning dance team from Germany.

Upon arrival at the Chicago Theatre, I asked those seated around us how they had heard of The Flying Steps or if they were dedicated fans. They explained that they have been hearing about it on the radio and have seen multiple commercials and said the advertising alone had them hooked. Despite the lack of knowledge I had about the Flying Bach the theater was packed tight with a full audience so I had a feeling it was going to be good.

At the start of the performance I did not really have any expectations seeing that I have never attended an event like this one. But within the first 10 minutes I was intrigued to say the least. Just when I thought their moves could not get any better, they did. The skill and dedication of those dancers are absolutely jaw dropping. The acts varied in music and style. Some acts had a slow, light rhythm whereas others were loud and ground shaking. I think that is what I liked most, because it satisfies both the audience members who came mostly for the classical music as well as the audience members who came mostly for the break-dancing.

Although I enjoyed both the classical music and the break-dancing, I would have to say the break-dancing aspect is what really caught my attention. The members of The Flying Steps are some of the most talented people I have encountered thus far and I hope the best for them in their future endeavors.

I owe a huge thanks to the Red Bull team for giving me this opportunity. I am very lucky to have been able to attend such an unforgettable performance and I plan to share my experience and excitement with others who are unaware of what they are missing out on!

Danielle Farrow

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State