Ranking American Horror Story Seasons from my Least Favorite to Favorite

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As spooky season has sadly come to an end, I wanted to talk about one of my favorite spooky shows. American Horror Story is a horror anthology series created by director Ryan Murphy, who also created the breakout series, Dahmer –Monster: The Jeffery Dahmer Story. The franchise displays miniseries that follow a set of different characters in different settings and time periods in the same fictional universe. This leads the audience to view occasional crossovers within the seasons, and easter eggs left in the show. A thing I love about this show too is that we often see the same actors appear in more than one season, but playing and portraying a diverse range of different characters.   

Here is my personal ranking of the twelve seasons of American Horror Story,

12. Season Ten: Double Feature. Starting at place number twelve as being my least favorite season of the show. This season is split up with the first six episodes following a struggling writer and his pregnant wife moving their family to an isolated beach town. The town’s residents and its spooky nature turns their worlds upside down. I thought this season started with great potential at the beginning, but the season being “double featured” makes the story completely switch from episodes seven through ten. I feel this switch to the alien based storyline personally ruined the season for me and did not finish strong in my book.

11. Season Eleven: NYC. Although the irony, I put season eleven at place eleven at my list. I wish I gave this season a better chance. It takes place in New York in the 1980s and focuses on the killings of gay men. I might have to give this season a better watch and put more attention into it.

10. Season Twelve: Delicate. This is the current playing season of AHS starring Emma Roberts, Kim Kardashian, and Cara Delevingne. This season follows a famous actress who will go to great lengths to fulfill her dream of getting pregnant and having a family. Although, there is currently only five episodes aired, I believe this season has potential. I do love Emma Roberts as an actress and I believe she gives frightening performances when she appears within the show. I am not sure where the direction of this season will go, but my curiosity grows for it.

9. Season Six: Roanoke. This was not one of my favorite seasons of American Horror Story, although I do think it was constructed well and had a different eerie element to it opposed to the other seasons. This season takes place in 2014-2016 focusing on a rural farmhouse haunted by the Roanoke colony. The style of this season makes it unique as they have different actors playing a version of themselves, explaining the horror in interview form and other actors portraying the horrifying story.

8. Season Four: Freak Show. Season number four takes place in Jupiter, Florida in 1952 and centers on the freakish performers in the American carnival. This season is spooky and is true AHS at its core. Although, Twisty the clown is a character that might make it hard to turn the lights off at night. A well put together season full of freaks and frights. Finn Wittrock commits to chilling performance in this one.

7. Season Seven: Cult. The seventh season is a unique one. It takes place after the 2016 presidential election after Donald Trump wins. A dangerous cult is desperate for political power. A lot of the seasons of this show can tend to center on supernatural things like ghosts, demons etc. I found that Cult was an interesting season, because it is the closest time period to our current day society, as well as the inclusion of the most realistic horrors that can take place. I think Evan Peter and Sarah Paulson’s performance in this specific season is absolutely phenomenal.

6. Season Five: Hotel. Season five of AHS is very interesting to me. 2015, Los Angeles, taking place at the supernatural Hotel Cortez. This season was Lady Gaga’s first appearance on the show, and she does not disappoint. Fair warning that this is a bloody season, so I wouldn’t eat dinner while watching this one. This season interconnects with our other seasons and is truly an outstanding, put together performance of the show.

5. Season Nine: AHS 1984. I absolutely loved this season. It takes place in Los Angles in the 1980s and focuses on a group of five friends that work as camp counselors at Camp Redwood. A reopening of a summer camp after a massacre. Not only do I love the 80s vibe of this season, but Emma Roberts performance is excellent. I feel like this was a great, put together season that ended not how I was expecting, but it absolutely satisfied me.

4.Season Three: Coven. Taking place in New Orleans, Louisiana in 2013, this season follows a coven of witches. I love this season and it is one of my favorites. It has a great cast, quotable lines, a likable style, and an inviting storyline. It is not on the scary side compared to most seasons, yet holds its eerie, witchy powers as well as a guest appearance from Stevie Nicks. A fan favorite season for sure!

3. Season Eight: Apocalypse. I did not initially expect to put Apocalypse over Coven, although I knew this season was going to be high on my list. This season is a crossover between both Coven and Murder House, those being two of my favorite seasons. Therefore, it was easy to grow an immense liking for this season. This being actor Cody Fern’s first appearance in the series, I fell to a very fast liking to him as he puts on a chilling and captivating performance. This season was super strong in my opinion!

2. Season Two: Asylum. Grasping second place is season two, which takes place in Massachusetts in 1964 following a criminally insane institution. Although this is not a season I have found myself to rewatch, it is true AHS gold. It is on the scarier side in my personal opinion, but its story line is so very strong and well developed throughout it’s 13 episodes. This season will captivate you with its brilliance, but I recommend watching Disney Channel afterwards.

1. Season One: Murder House. Ironically, taking first place is the very first season of American Horror Story, titled Murder House. This first season is what drew me to this show in the first place. Taking place in Los Angeles, California in 2011, it centers around a family that moves into a haunted house. The casting, the twists, and turns this season holds are truly pure brilliance and gave this show an amazing kickstart to its ongoing phenomenon. I will never get tired of rewatching this season!

Although, this was a longer article, I hope you enjoy my opinions and run-downs of American Horror Story. This a great show that may not be for everyone, but I really like myself!

Lexi Jurkus

Illinois State '24

Hi, I am Lexi Jurkus. I am an English Teacher Education major at Illinois State University. I have loved writing since I was young, writing is like therapy to me. Therefore, I wanted to open myself up to the opportunity to try different ways to expand my writing!