This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

February’s here already, it’s the month of ~ looove ~. This can be a rough month for all the single ladies out there. Valentine’s Day is arriving and not all of us have a boo thang. However, it’s easy to make others (and yourself) not feel down in the dumps during this holiday and month. Lately, I’ve been working on finding and making new friends, as well as seeing how I can improve as a friend. Here are some of the random acts of kindness that I have found either make my day, or someone else’s. Keep in mind, you can do any of these small tasks for a friend, family member, or even a stranger sometimes!

Give Them A Small Gift

This is a simple way of showing someone you care, but you also don’t really have to go out of your way to do it either. The next time you’re at the store, think about conversations you’ve had recently. Have any of your friends been craving any foods or have they been struggling at all? You can pick up a quick snack or treat and a face mask (they sell them for a dollar at Wal-Mart, highly recommend!). This shows that you care and that you pay attention to the conversations shared between the both of you.

Meaningful Conversation

Honestly, this one is so underrated. We Snapchat our friends quick selfies every day, but when was the last time you asked how your friends were doing?Life goes by so fast sometimes, that we forget to reflect and actually think about how other people go through things and have their own problems too. You don’t have to get super deep, but maybe just find out more about the person. It’s shocking to step back realize how much we actually know about our friends versus what we really know.

Holding The Door Open

This one is DEFINITELY the easiest on the list. When someone holds the door open for you, it shows they care. Even just a simple smile can show someone that you appreciate them. This is also the easiest to do to a stranger and you might even make a new friend this way. It opens the door for conversation (notice the pun ;)) and is also a COVID safe way to show someone that they matter. It’s the little things that count, a little can go a long way. (side note this is a picture of my sisters that I found in front of our sorority house door and I thought it was super cute)

Make Them A Playlist

Hands down, my personal favorite. My friend made me a playlist on Spotify named after me and I literally almost cried. Think about the times that you’ve hung out with this person or some of your favorite memories and anything that remotely describes your friendship or gives you any serotonin when thinking about this person, jot it down and add it to the queue! It’s something that the both of you can look back on and listen to when you’re feeling sad or just need a break.

Send Them A Letter

I know this is old-fashioned, but it’s SUPER cute and also underrated. My friend was in basic training for the army over the summer and so I couldn’t text or Snapchat her. She gave me the address she was at and we wrote letters back and forth until we were able to see each other again. I still reread the ones she wrote me and laugh at all the funny stories we would tell. We would both make them super cute too, we’d draw flower and use pretty pens and markers. This is also a COVID friendly way to show someone that you care or get back into contact with a friend or family member you haven’t seen in a while.

Times can get hard for everyone, this month especially can suck for people without significant others. However, love can still be shown to your friends, family, and strangers in these ways and more! It’s important to remind the people in your life that you care and these ways make it so simple and easy to benefit the both of you in the long run. What you put into the world, you get back, so you might as well treat your loved ones every once in a while. You both deserve all the love that February has to offer!

Bella Sibenaller

Illinois State '23

Hi, my name is Bella and I'm a junior here at Illinois State. I'm a psychology major, but I'm also going into nursing. At ISU, I am also apart of the National Society for Leadership and Success and currently serve as the social chair. My hometown is Charleston, Illinois. It's a super small town south of ISU. In my free time, I enjoy hanging out with friends and Facetiming my eight year old sister. If you have any questions about Her Campus or any of the other organizations I'm involved in, please reach out! My Instagram is @bellajsib.
Contributor account for Illinois State