Girls Pumpkins
Girls Pumpkins
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Rader Family Farms: a Must-Visit Place for ISU Students for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Fall is my favorite season of the year. I love the colorful changing leaves, the crisp air, football games, and the decorations. I went to a pumpkin patch and decided that is the perfect way to get ready for fall.

When I started college last year, I heard everyone talking about Rader Family Farms, which is in Normal (about a 10-minute drive from ISU’s campus). This past weekend I was able to go with one of my friends and it was a blast. We walked around, took a bunch of pictures, looked at the collection of pumpkins and gourds, and stopped at the Harvest Brew Coffee Shop for a treat. My friend bought an apple cider slushie and I tried a caramel apple. They have pumpkin pie, donut chips, hot chocolate, hot cider, kettle corn, lattes, and a variety of other fall favorites.

My friend and I were able to take a bunch of fall pictures to spice up our social media feeds. The farm easily had hundreds of pumpkins to choose from and a bunch of places to take pictures. There are farm activities including tram rides, slides, a corn maze, tractor test drives, races, a huge jumping pillow, and many more. Certain days Rader Family Farms hosts events such as the Flashlight 10-Acre Night Maze. We did not attend during this visit, but I would love to next year. Be sure to check out the Rader Family Farms website for more information if you want to plan a trip.

I was having a difficult time getting into the fall mindset this year. However, I was able to set aside the stresses of online school and enjoy the day I had at the pumpkin patch. It is a great date night idea, can be a family event or something fun to do with friends. There is something to do for everybody. All the visitors and workers at Rader Family Farms had a smile on their face. I would 100% recommend going to a pumpkin patch this year if you are able to.

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!
Contributor account for Illinois State