This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With classes online and staying in to keep myself and others safe on weekends, my boyfriend and I have been finding a lot of shows to watch together. Our latest on the list was The Boys. At first glance, I wasn’t sure if I would like it. (My boyfriend was the one who suggested it) Boy, was I wrong.

Before watching The Boys, we had just finished watching The Umbrella Academy. They are both shows about superheroes, but I definitely like that there’s more actual powers in The Boys. 

The basic plot of the show, without giving away too much, is a group of people all with their own problems who want to take down the superheroes who might not actually have the public’s safety at heart. The “seven” a.k.a the official super heroes of the world, are part of a company called “Vaut.” Very soon into the first episodes it is clear the superheroes are more like superstars who make money for this company, rather than be there only to save lives.

Unfortunately, there are only two seasons right now. What I really like about it is the balance between very gruesome fighting, love, humor and heartbreak. While it is a superhero show, it really focuses on the lives of the “normal” people as well as the superheroes. Everyone has their own individual story, and they portray them very well.

The Boys was released in 2019, and I think incorporates some real world problems through their storyline. Racism, grief, corruption of safety officials, and more only begins to describe what you’ll see in this show.

The shock factor will hit you many times throughout both seasons. Just when you think you know what is going to happen, BOOM! You’re wrong. It really draws you in and gets you invested in finding out what will happen next. Many parts are unusual and confusing, but that just makes it that much more interesting.

I think I rooted for each character at a different time throughout the two seasons. I’m not going to say it’s hard to make me cry from watching a show, but it was pretty hard to not shed tears at the season two finale. While he might say he just had something in his eye, I think it even got my boyfriend’s eyes to water.

The episodes are an hour long, so even though you will want to go through the whole season in a day, it is kind of hard to. A substantial amount of events happen in each episode, which is another reason I really enjoyed it.

The Boys gets my stamp of approval, and I highly recommend you watch it on amazon prime video.

Annamarie Schutt

Illinois State '21

Annamarie is a senior journalism major. Aside from being the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus ISU, Annamarie also currently reports for TV-10 News and WZND.