Wellness

The Perfect Night Routine for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Being in college can really throw you off of a good routine with the heaps of homework and any other activities filling up your schedule. The pandemic is no help either when it comes to routines. However, a basic night time routine will significantly increase your well being. This is why I decided to share the things I make sure to do every night.

Set an Alarm

When it comes to setting an alarm, it is important to keep it for the same time every morning. This puts you into a routine when you wake up and your body and mind will thank you for it. Plus, if you are anything like me, you will start to naturally wake up around that time the more you keep it up. 

Make a To-Do List for the Next Day

There is nothing I love more than a good to-do list. Making one for the next day allows you to schedule it out. This will put your mind at ease and you will be able to start your day off with a list already made.

Check the Weather for Tomorrow

This may seem silly if you have nowhere to go for the following day, but it is always good to know the weather. I check it every night to see if I can leave my windows open or if I should be getting ready to bring out all my winter clothes. 

Write Down Your Goals

In college it is easy to lose track of your life goals. They get pushed aside by school, work, and whatever else you are up to. It is good to write down goals for different times. Write a daily, weekly, monthly or even a yearly goal. This will put you back in the right mindset and will help you push through your days.

A Hygiene Routine

Your hygiene is very important. I know there are times I want to crawl into bed without brushing my teeth and just wearing my clothes I wore during the day. However, the best way to relax and have a good night sleep is to clean yourself. A simple washing of the face, moisturizing, and brushing your teeth will help you feel 100 times better going to bed. 

Take Time to do Something You Love

I think this is the most important one. Make time for something that makes you happy. This could be listening to music, reading, watching a TV show, or anything else. Lately I have been very into painting and crafts and make time for it every night. It is a good way to put you in a good mindset for bed and unwind from the day you have had.

These 6 steps are all simple enough that you could finish them in 30 minutes or less. You can also add in a few more steps such as finishing homework, picking out an outfit for the next day, or anything else you want to accomplish before you go to sleep. The time it takes to do these steps is a very important time in your day to finally relax and prep yourself for the next day.

Chloe Lindbom

Illinois State '21

Hey guys! I'm Chloe a Senior here at Illinois State University. I am majoring in Public Relations and looking forward to my future career. Until then I plan to keep drinking iced coffee, keeping up with all the latest reality shows, and writing articles for Her Campus. I can't wait to share my writing and part of my life with y'all. If you want even more of me in your life, follow me on Twitter and Instagram! Twitter - @ChloDae Instagram - @Chlo.Dae
Contributor account for Illinois State