Omega Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated Establishes at Illinois State University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

On April 24, 2016 seven hard working and diverse women established a new collective of Omega Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated on Illinois State University’s campus.

The sorority held a new member presentation (also knows as a coming out show) at Stevenson Plaza last semester where the women were welcomed by family, friends and other members of the Greek community.

About the organization:

Omega Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated was founded March 15, 1989 by 17 women at the State University of New York, at Albany as a multicultural, Latina-oriented sorority. The organization has chapters across the nation from California to Illinois, down to Florida and all the way across to New York. Omega Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated’s philanthropy is raising awareness about violence against women. They aim to serve and educate people through sisterhood, leadership and guidance.

After working for almost a year and a half to bring this organization to campus, these seven women are ecstatic to finally establish at Illinois State. “We hope to bring a strong sisterhood like no other that allows women to grow socially and professionally while encouraging them to embrace their diversity with pride,” president of the collective Diana Diaz says. Along with embracing diversity, the new sisters of OPBSI put an emphasis on Greek unity. They are excited to become involved within the ISU community and strive to achieve unity and inclusion within and outside the Greek community. 

What you can look forward to:

Now finally established at Illinois State, the sisters of OPBSI hope to meet new faces, collaborate with many organizations on campus, and share their passion for sisterhood, diversity and professionalism while raising awareness about violence against women. Coming soon in the month of September is their Week of Serving and Educating where everyone is invited to contribute to a week of bettering themselves and their communities. If you see them around campus, feel free to say hello!

For any questions, comments or concerns, about Omega Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated, email the sisters at isuopbsi@gmail.com.

Arielle Steward

Illinois State

Hey guys! My name is Arielle and I am a sophomore at Illinois State University majoring in Public Relations! (Holler to my PR Girls!) Demi Lovato is my life guru and hero. I listen to ALL types of music! I am very proud of my culture being African American, Puerto Rican and Polish, and love to express it in any way I can!
Contributor account for Illinois State