This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I would not consider myself a traveler. It’s not that I don’t appreciate the beauty of seeing new places, but I’m a college student in the Midwest. I have never had a huge passion for traveling as many people I know might. I do want to go to Tennessee and Colorado in the future… maybe even Hawaii if the flights weren’t so long! Other than that though, I don’t have many aspirations to travel. I feel that there is an expectation that everyone should like traveling and should want to explore the world. I’m here to tell you that you don’t have to feel that way. I’ve been to several states around the United States and wanted to share my experiences from the perspective of a non-traveler.

Ludington, Michigan

This place holds such a special place in my heart. I used to go here every year with my family, and we made so many great memories. We stayed off a small lake in a cabin where we would spend our days fishing, driving around on the boat and grilling food.

My biggest recommendation if you visit here (besides visiting the Ludington State Park) would be to visit House of Flavors… go every day of your trip. I may be biased, but they have the BEST ice cream, and there’s nothing like eating ice cream and watching the sunset on the beach.

We took a break for several years but went on a trip in the summer of 2021 and it was so wonderful. My grandparents joined us for a few days and my lovely boyfriend came with us too. I cannot wait to go again this summer!

SAN DIEGO, CAlifornia

I will be honest (as always with my writing) but I wasn’t sure what all the California hype is about. However, I went here with my family for our last family vacation before all of us kids become official adults and have to start career jobs. The weather in San Diego was perfect. Not too warm, not too cool.

I was most looking forward to trying In-and-Out Burger for the first time. Yes, it’s overhyped, but we stopped there after landing at the airport and, I have to admit, the food was delicious. The filling burger and salty fries were great. 

We kayaked along the bayside area where we were staying. It was such a great experience! I cannot even list all the cool sea animals and creatures we saw while we were paddling around (mostly because I don’t remember the names). It was great waking up each morning and taking a walk around the marina with a fresh smoothie in hand.

SIESTA KEY, FLorida

I have been to many cities in Florida throughout my life but visiting Siesta Key was my absolute favorite (topping runner up Panama City). My mom and I took a girl’s trip here to stay with my great aunt and great uncle. We had a great time walking along the beach, shopping in the town and sharing many laughs at the dinner table. I got to be roomies with my mom for a few nights which was super fun having girl talk that often ended in giggles.

This was the perfect trip minus a slight sunburn we got even after applying and reapplying SPF 50+ sunscreen. How can you compete with being just a five-minute walk away from the ocean? Not to mention we went in February so the weather was much different than in Illinois. We were able to come back with a slight tan and a few freckles. I’d recommend taking a trip here during a time when you truly need a refresh and a self-care moment.

keystone, south dakota

If you ask me what my least favorite academic subject is I’d tell you history… which is 100% true. However, traveling to South Dakota changed my viewpoint. I traveled with my family to see my uncle’s new property at the time. We stopped to see Mount Rushmore in Keystone, which was unbelievable. We also stopped at the Badlands National Park to break up our drive and walked around Spearfish Canyon, where I remember seeing the most beautiful waterfall.

Another must-go-to place is to book a cave tour. I believe my family went to the Jewel Cave National Monument and had a great time being underground listening to the insight from our tour guide. The scenery in South Dakota is beautiful and I would highly recommend going here if you enjoy road trips and taking the scenic route. Rumor has it they get a lot of snow in the cooler months… so plan your trip accordingly!

Even with all these places I’ve visited the last couple of years, I don’t consider myself a traveler – someone who wants to explore the world – but that doesn’t mean I haven’t experienced different places and enjoyed the cities I have been to.

I’d highly encourage everyone to visit a new city or state. It’s always good to see things from a new perspective.

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!