Style

A (Not so) Minimalist’s Guide to a Fashionable But Functional Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I’ll be the first to tell you that I am not, nor have I ever been, a minimalist! I`ve always loved the concept and simplicity of it, but when it comes to clothes, I just can’t get enough! However, when it came time to box up my clothes for college, I was given two bins into which I had to squeeze ten bins worth of clothes. I knew in that moment that I was going to have to cut back and only take the necessities. By my second week in college, I realized the 6 things every girl should have in her college closet. 

1. “Throw overs” & Simple Tee`s 

Having just two or three simple gray and white tees in your closet along with a few “throws overs” can be super versatile and make getting dressed much easier. “Throw overs” are what I call anything you can just layer over a plain tee to spice up any outfit, such as a flannel, a chambray button down, a cardigan, or even a cute going out jacket!

2. Jeans & Leggings 

You don’t need to bring all ten pairs of the SAME black leggings and every pair of jeans you own. For jeans, you only need 2-4 pairs: perhaps a dark wash and light wash, a ripped pair for going out, and a black pair to mix it up. As for leggings, they are nice for a casual going out look or for being comfy for class, but try to stick to 2 or 3 pairs!

3. Belts 

Belts are not only super in style right now, but they are a great way to fancy up an outfit and they take up very little space in a small college closet! I recommend having a simple black and brown belts and as many fun colored belts your college budget can afford!

4. Skirts & Dresses 

You won’t need to dress up too much in college, but you should always be prepared for an interview, meeting, or maybe even a hot date! It’s a good idea to have a nice dress or two in your closet (one professional and one for fun). Skirts are another easy way to dress up an outfit too. I suggest a denim skirt and a fun colored or patterned one!

5. Shoes

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are like me and are obsessed with shoes, you can’t bring all of them to college. Stick to basics that you would need to wear frequently such as a good pair of sneakers and a pair of slip on shoes to throw on when you are rushing to class. Be sure to pack your gym shoes for working out to lay off the “freshman 15,” along with a pair of old shoes for the dirty, wet, sticky floors of frat houses. Also, bring your favorite pair of heels for that interview or in case that hot date of yours asks you to go somewhere fancy! Of course, once winter hits a great pair of boots are an absolute must.

6. Comfy Clothes 

Unless you like to dress to impress for class (which is totally fine, or you’re hitting the club every night (which is not fine!) you’re going to be spending a lot of time in comfy clothes. Don’t pack every sweatshirt you own and every free t-shirt you have ever received. Stick to a FEW cozy sweatshirts and t-shirts that you love and can wear lounging around in your room. You will want to save closet space for the college wear you’ll want to add to your comfy clothes collection.

So whether you are a senior in high school and worried about dorms that look too small to hold your shoe collection, or if you are already in college and you have realized you packed a little too much, use these tips to determine what you really need. College is the best time to figure out who you want to be and how you want to express yourself. Wear what makes you feel comfortable and confident without overflowing your closet space!

Allie Nowak

Illinois State '22

Editor-in-chief for Her Campus at Illinois State University.
Contributor account for Illinois State