This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Meet Nicholas Tronolone, a senior with a B.A in music and a minor in sociology. When Sean is not playing with his pet pig Lilly, playing guitar, or hanging out with his roommates he is singing with the RSO on campus, the Acafellaz. As Nicholas approaches the second half of his senior year and is currently in his fourth year of the Acafellaz, he talked to HerCampus about his time on the Acafellaz, his future plans, and his outside hobbies.

1. So Nicholas, tell us a little bit about yourself!

I was born and raised in Aurora, IL and the second youngest of five children. I am now a senior here at Illinois State and part of three registered student organizations.  Currently live with six guys and our pet pig, Lilly, who basically runs the house.   

2. What made you decide to join the Acafellaz?              

In high school I participated in many ensembles and it just became a sensation. The performance aspect is what I craved. In college I knew I did not want to stop singing. The Acafellaz are an outstanding group to be a part of and it shows talents from members that come from a variety of majors.

3. Do you hold a certain position the group?

In the Acafellaz everyone is pointed an important role, but I am the Treasurer that deals with a lot of the expenses we obtain over the year.

9. Are you guys close outside of performances?

Definitely! After rehearsals some of us would get something to eat and/or hang out at each other’s place. During rehearsals we can get off track and have fun enjoying each other’s company.

5. I have to ask, is A Cappella anything like it is in Pitch Perfect? Is there competition or is it mostly just for fun?

This question has been coming up in conversations a lot. The truth is Pitch Perfect blows real a cappella groups out of proportion. On the other hand, the frustrations perceived in the movie may sometimes be realistic. In any group there can be difficulties, but remembering the main focus is what keeps the Acafellaz a concrete group. There are competitions year round and it can be very fulfilling, but the joy of singing for fun will never go away. Sometimes before rehearsals we scatter around campus and sing a few songs for the public.

6. Did you see a growing interest after the movie came out? Or did it stay the same?

I do see a growing interest after the movie. People have a better understanding that it takes a lot of practice and commitment to have a successful a cappella group.

7. Do you have any hobbies outside of Acafellaz?

My roommates and I do basketball at the rec and also go to Maxwell Park’s disc golf course and play a few rounds. Something completely different, back home in Aurora my mother is currently taking care of our golden retriever puppies that are now four weeks old. She has been breeding golden retrievers since 1982 and I have taking much interest helping and caring for them since I can remember.

8. So you play guitar, how long have you been playing? Do you only play on your own time?

Well I first picked up the guitar when I was ten, but lost interest. It was probably because of Nickelodeon. I picked it up again about a year ago and now with my final year of college soon coming to an end, playing on my own time is all I have.

9. As a senior, do you have any future plans in mind?

I recently changed my major to a B.A. in Music and added a minor in Sociology. As many people do, right after they finish their undergraduate degree, they go straight to graduate school. I am currently searching for graduate programs that have a Masters in Social Work. I hope to help people with their difficult situations. The need for guidance and support in hard times can be difficult to find, I hope to layout solutions and strategies to help resolve those situations.

10. Are there any upcoming shows? What are the future plans for the acafellaz?

We are planning on having a show as soon as we get back from winter break, so be aware of flyers! Every spring semester we have an end of the year show that is usually in late April. The acafellaz get gig requests for banquets, social events, sporting events, and even retirement centers. Also, we are in the process of starting an album.

Kelley Bowles

Illinois State

Kelley Bowles. Illinois State University. From Chicago IL. Reporter for The Vidette. Writer for HerCampus. English-Publishing major. Avid lover of Mac n Cheese and puppies.
Contributor account for Illinois State