New Year, New Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

3, 2, 1 HAPPY NEW YEAR! Welcome to 2014, Fashionistas/os. With a new year comes new fashion and 2014 is bringing us styles that will keep our hopes, heels, and spring fever high. Over the past few weeks I have been scanning the latest trends and wardrobes that will give anyone the fresh new style they are yearning for. Try these trends for yourself and add your own personal flair this (hopefully sooner rather than later) spring season.

Hologram/Iridescent

“Shine bright like a diamond” has never been more relevant in the fashion industry than this season. Clutches, footwear and apparel have found themselves transformed into mere optical illusions that embody the perfect amount of chicness.  When trying this trend try not to go too over-the-top. Pick one hologram or iridescent piece that will make everybody’s head spin with envy.

Sheer bliss

Showing skin has proved itself to be the staple of the season. Sheer blouses, crop tops and everything in between has been making its debut not only on the streets, but also on the red carpet. While some might be hesitant to join the masses in this fashion forward stigma due to its well…sheer qualities, there are ways to compliment sheer pieces in a daring yet, sophisticated way.

Say What You Need to Say 

Conveying messages through apparel has definitely become louder. Fashion is all about expression and you can learn a lot about a person based on what they communicate through their outfits. Whether its brand names, funny sayings, or surprisingly not-so-funny sayings to that of the older generation, this trend is bound to continue making statements.

Crop tops Jaws drop

Everyone’s favorite summer trend has definitely not changed with the seasons. Yes, crop tops are here to stay! Some stylish and even pregnant celebs (Kerry Washington anyone?) have been complimenting their personal wardrobe with cropped tops this season. Spice up this trend with a tee-length skirt and your fave heels or… sneakers? Also big this spring paired with elegant ensembles.

Hang in there and stay warm, Fashionistas!

Cassie Zimmer

Illinois State

Hi! My name is Cassie Zimmer and I am a writer for HerCampus Illinois State. I am so excited to have just joined an awesome group of ladies to share my love of writing with. I am a fashionista who loves keeping up to date with the latest trends in the fashion industry. I hope to write articles that will be enjoyable for the fans of HerCampus to read and will hopefully take something away from the information I provide.