This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The theaters are filled with new and anticipated movies. I’ve been particularly impressed with the movie lineups recently, which has sparked my interest in going to the theater more than usual. Streaming services have taken over the film industry, but going to the movies is a fantastic way to get out and have fun.

Don’t Worry Darling

This popular new thriller presents an eerie take on the luxuries of life. The characters find themselves going through classic day-to-day life in the 1950s, where husbands of each household embark on mysterious journeys each day and wives find themselves staying at home or doing small activities as a community. This movie has been on my watch list for awhile, and I actually saw it recently. I was floored by how much I liked it because it hasn’t been getting the best reviews. I will say, the ending could have been better, but I’m hoping a sequel will be introduced.

TÁR

A new drama starring Cate Blanchett is just what we needed. Tár follows a famous conductor, Lydia Tár, who has won numerous awards and accolades. The film catches her in the midst of a crucial symphony that she becomes exceedingly nervous about. Her newfound nervousness and discomfort is aided by her adopted daughter, who becomes her rock. I was initially intrigued by this movie description, because one of my hometown friends talked about seeing it. The positive reviews have also intrigued me, leaving this film high on my movie watching list.

My Policeman

The appeal of this film has presented itself by the lead actor, Harry Styles. The plot of the film also made me more curious about what this film entails. Another Harry Styles film that takes place in the 1950s presents the main character, Thomas, who becomes infatuated with his teacher. I really enjoy movies that take place in the early 1900s because of the imagery and difference between then and now.

Till

I saw the trailer for this film in theaters, and I was immediately interested in what it was about. Till is based off of a true story about Emmett Till, a boy who was lynched in the 1950s. The story follows his mother’s journey to seek equity and stand up for her son. This film seems powerful and interesting. I was on the edge of my seat in the theater when I watched the trailer.

Movies are a great way to relax and take time for yourself. Going to a movie once in a while is a fun and exciting way to get out and get involved in a fun activity with friends or alone. Ever since the pandemic, I have missed going out to movies and I have tried to get out and see a movie when I can. Go out and see a movie!

Jillian Groot

Illinois State '24

My name is Jillian Groot and I am a senior English education major with an Italian studies minor at Illinois State University.