Style > Beauty

My Top Three Makeup Discoveries of the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I may have spent my summer swamped with online classes, but I did not let academia stop me from getting my glam on and trying out some new products in the cosmetic department. 

July is my birth month, and Ulta has a system where members can get twice as many points on all purchases made during their birth month, so on July 1st, I went shopping at my local Ulta and bought some products that I’ve grown to love after a few months of testing them. If you are interested in reading about my top three holy grails from the summertime, then keep on reading. 

No. 3: Flower Beauty Light Illusion Perfecting Powder

This powder initially caught my eye because it is a supposed dupe for Charlotte Tilbury’s Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powder. I cannot speak as to whether it is a dupe or not, because I do not own the Charlotte Tilbury powder, but I do know that the Flower Beauty powder makes my skin look healthy and lit from within. It is a pressed powder, which I prefer to loose powders because they are a lot more fuss-free in my opinion, and it is only $14.29 on Ulta’s website. They have various shades across different skin tones and they are a cruelty-free brand—need I say more?

No. 2: Nyx “Born to Glow!” Foundation

This is an older product, but I bought it myself for the first time this summer after hearing how nice it was for dry skin. (I have dry, but also acne-prone skin for reference) I love a glowy base, given that my skin leans to the dryside, so I was super excited to try this out. It’s rumored to be similar in formula to the Fenty Hydrating Foundation, but again I can’t confirm or deny that claim because I have not tried the Fenty hydrating foundation. However, I do know that the Born to Glow has medium-buildable coverage, it lasts all day throughout wearing a mask in the heat, it works with other products beautifully, and it gives me the most fresh, glowy looking base. It retails for $10 at Ulta and I think it is one of the best foundations I’ve ever tried. It gives me Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk vibes without the $64 luxury price tag.

No. 1: BH Cosmetics ‘Passion in Paris’ Eyeshadow Palette

This beautiful palette has to be my favorite product I’ve tried this past summer. It has a cohesive, indigo to burgundy color story, with creamy matte shades and blinding metallic shades. It is user friendly, the shadows build on top of each other nicely but blend out seamlessly, and I feel pretty whenever I use this palette. It’s $17 at Ulta, and I would continuously spend that $17 for this gem because I love it that much. The formula of this palette reminds me of a more expensive eyeshadow formula like Natasha Denona, but at a much more accessible price point. I cannot sing enough praises to this palette. When I don’t know what kind of look I want to do, I gravitate towards this one, which is a huge deal considering I am always wanting to use different products. 

There we have it! The top three makeup purchases I made this summer that I would continuously make, just because I love these three products so much. My love for makeup is never-ending, and since September is here, I cannot wait to discover some new holy grails for the fall season and share them here with the HC squad.

Savannah Kallan

Illinois State '24

My name is Savannah Kallan, I am an English major who is passionate about words and poetry, but outside of academia, I have a lot for all things beauty! I love reviewing cool new products on the market, and doing everything in my power to push my boundaries and grow myself day by day.