My Top 5 Cozy Comfort Movies This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Plenty of aspects of autumn are loved by many. Whether you enjoy the crispness of the air, or you’re infatuated with the idea of pretty much anything that has to do with pumpkin, the fall season is where it’s at. I thoroughly enjoy watching movies in my free time and, in some situations, I might refer to myself as somewhat of a movie expert. With that being said, here are my top five cozy comfort movies that you should watch this fall season.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

This classic movie is one of my favorites in the Harry Potter collection. The movie takes you on a journey of Harry’s first year at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The friendships that are built during this movie are what makes it a cozy classic. If you’re looking to read (or re-read) a new book, you can also open up the well-known book before or after you watch. Happy wizarding!

Coraline

If you’re looking to get into the Halloween spirit, Coraline is a stellar option. The twisted nature of Coraline and her story will pull you in. Even though this movie is a bit frightening, the connections that Coraline has with her friends and family, alongside the nostalgia that I have personally associated with this movie is what makes Coraline a cozy and comforting classic.

Knives Out

Knives Out is a chilling mystery crime movie that will have your mind blown by the end. The dark and mysterious setting of this film is what makes it a must-watch, perfect for enjoying with friends or alongside a cup of tea. (And if you need another reason to watch this movie: the iconic sweater worn by none other than Chris Evans!)

The Breakfast Club

The Breakfast Club is an exceptional option for a person who loves a good ol’ classic. This film takes place in a high school library, where five totally different high school students gather for detention. Their fun and exciting adventures throughout their stay make this movie even more entertaining. If you’re looking for a fun and comforting movie, this one is for you.

Little Women

Last and most certainly not least—my favorite movie ever—Little Women. Even I have to admit I’ve watched this film far too many times. This movie which is based on the classic novel is beautifully made and so heartwarming to watch. The film takes place after the Civil War and focuses on the lives of four sisters. During the film, you see their childhood memories alongside the many struggles that came with being a woman during the time period. This warm and homey movie definitely deserves a spot on your movie watch list.

When it comes to the fall season, movies are a must-have. These five recommendations for a cozy night in are a great way to kick off autumn, and I’ll definitely be watching some of these movies soon, so I hope you join me in doing the same. Happy Fall!

Jillian Groot

Illinois State '24

My name is Jillian Groot and I am a senior English education major with an Italian studies minor at Illinois State University.