Tattoo of glass half full
Tattoo of glass half full
Original photo by Millie Dean
Wellness > Mental Health

My Tattoo and the Story Behind It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

“Is the glass half empty or half full?”

Many have heard, said and pondered over this question. The expression “glass half full” signifies optimism and the ability to look for the positive in a situation. While the pessimist says that the glass is half empty, the optimist believes that the glass is half full.

The phrase “is the glass half empty or half full?” is a worldly expression that doesn’t truly have an answer to it. Each person can interpret the phrase differently and choose how to respond to it. I choose to interpret the glass as half full.

Recently, I have been tested on this. In life, we go through many different kinds of hardships. Life has a funny way of testing you and causing things to happen to you that you thought never would. I am someone who dreads the unexpected and fears change—I am comfortable with my routine, so when life throws a punch at me, I fall hard.

Over the summer, I fell the hardest I have ever fallen. Life beat me up, bruised me, and broke me down. I have since started healing, but have most definitely been experiencing growing pains. It will take me a long time to heal, but I am healing every day. Some days, I get pushed back down. Some days, a little piece of me breaks even more. But each time I get knocked down, I always get back up.

I have spent a lot of time questioning who I am. But the one part of me that I always come back to is my glass half full mindset. No matter what life throws at me, I have decided that I will always choose to see the glass half full. I choose to see the best in people, the best in myself, and the best in even the worst kinds of situations.

With this being said, I wanted to get a tattoo that was symbolic of my “glass half full” mindset. I hand-drew the design of the little glass filled with water and lemon slices. I have no regrets of permanently having a reminder on myself of who I am to my innermost core; someone who chooses to see the best in everything.

This, of course, is much easier said than done. There are a lot of moments when I feel like I only see the worst. There are a lot of times where I feel low and broken. But I remind myself that these feelings will pass. I know that in the grand scheme of things, I will always choose to turn toward the light. I will always believe that the good in this world outweighs the bad. I will always believe that tomorrow can be a brighter and better day than today. I will always count my blessings. I will always be thankful for the good in my life. I will always look at the glass half full; because that’s who I am.

Millie Dean

Illinois State '23

HI! My name is Millie and I love writing for Her Campus! I'm a senior at Illinois State University studying Public Relations and minoring in Graphic Design. My other interests include art, embroidery, thrifting, and photography. I love to be able to be creative in my interests and in my articles on Her Campus. Follow me on Instagram! @milliedean5