This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I love the fall and winter seasons for many reasons: the comfortable clothes, the cozy weather, the holidays, and the music. There is a large amount of music that emulates perfect fall and winter ambiance. Especially since the rise of the popular term “Sad Girl Autumn,” there has been more music geared towards this aesthetic filled with nostalgia and warm toned sweaters. I have become enamored with this genre, so I put together a list of my favorite songs (and a few albums) that make the cold air feel like a warm hug. 

1. Stick Season by Noah Kahan 

This song is perfect if you are looking for something filled with nostalgia that talks about the difficulty of transitions. This song reminds me of growing up in a small town and the memories that flood in when visiting. The chorus is catchy and the song is vulnerable. It’s everything that a great sad girl autumn song needs. 

1. To Watch the World Spin Without You by Mon Rovia 

I found this artist over the summer and immediately fell in love with his lyricism. This song in particular is my favorite because of the message behind the lyrics. The song’s lyrics talk about coping and mental health. It’s the perfect song for an early morning walk while you take in the cool air. 

1. Lacy by Olivia Rodrigo 

Olivia’s new album has become the focus of my life for the past few months. This song especially has caught my attention, though. I appreciate how introspective the lyrics are. The slow and somewhat melancholy lyrics and melody really emulate the fall and winter seasons, which may be filled with deep thoughts about your own place in this world. 

1. Eat Your Young- Bekon’s Choral Version by Hozier 

The first time I heard the original version of Eat Your Young I was automatically in love with it. Then, Hozier released this Bekon Choral version and I was in love with the song even more. It makes a great colder season song because it feels so ghostly and haunting to me. As usual with Hozier’s music, the political message behind the song and music video is very well done. 

1. Nothing’s the Same by Alexander23 and Jeremy Zucker

This song’s original message was about how everyday felt the same during quarantine in 2020. However, anyone who has ever felt isolated or stuck in their current place will be able to relate to this song. The song has vivid imagery and truly represents how some days can feel never ending. 

1. Envy the Leaves by Madison Beer

After listening to Madison’s new album, this was the song that I was immediately drawn to. It draws on seasonal imagery of leaves and snow. Beer relates these things to wishing for peace and oblivion to the world around her. 

1. Gracie by Shallow Alcove 

Shallow Alcove is another band that I found over the summer. Their songwriting is perfect for anyone who is obsessed with nostalgia. This song in particular has become one of my favorites to listen to. It describes the unfamiliarity of growing up and wishing to be young again. The song is reminiscent of “Tis the Damn Season” by Taylor Swift and the previously mentioned “Stick Season” by Noah Kahan. These songs all share a theme of how returning to a hometown can bring back memories and a sense of familiarity again. 

1. Lonesome by Sabrina Carpenter

Sabrina’s upbeat music is always catchy and fun to listen to. This slower song of hers is no exception. “Lonesome” discusses feeling lonely while being in a relationship. Sabrina writes about the emotional absence of a partner in a relationship. She uses wordplay to describe how loneliness will always be a part of her. 

1. Evermore (album) by Taylor Swift (Yes, the whole thing.)

Evermore is my favorite Taylor Swift album, so I had trouble picking just one song to put on this list. Many of the songs on this album are written around themes of nostalgia, closure, healing, and reminiscing. The album’s warm toned cover is representative of how perfect it is for a gray day or a snowy evening.  

1. If You’re Hurting by Trousdale 

This final song has similar themes to the others. The song reminds listeners that pain and sadness are part of being human. This song also shows viewers that there are others who are struggling as well and maybe they aren’t as alone as they feel. I think this song is a great example of how emotions, even sadness, can bring people together. 

These are a few of my current favorite songs that remind me of the fall and winter seasons. Many of these artists have songs that match this similar mood, so I recommend checking them out if you like these recommendations. Spotify also has many playlists they have created that match the Sad Girl Autumn feeling, so those are worth looking at too for more fall and winter songs.

Sarah Knowlton

Illinois State '24

Hi I'm Sarah! I am a junior at Illinois State and I am majoring in Human Development and Family Science! After I finish my bachelor's degree, I plan to get my master's degree in Human Development and Family Science as well. Besides writing, I like to read, watch TikToks, make art, and bake!