This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

New Girl is one of my favorite shows because there is an episode for every moment and feeling. It’s an easy show to watch because the episode plots are easy to follow. It is especially good background noise for doing homework! Ever since I started watching New Girl, there are certain episodes that I continually go back to watch and that I love to talk about. Even though my favorite episodes change, here are my top episodes that are always on the list of my favorites. 

1. LAXmas (4×11)

Out of all the episodes, this one will forever be my favorite. Not only do I love a good Christmas episode of any sitcom, but also I love friends coming together. My absolute favorite moment in the history of this show, and perhaps even every show, is when everyone gets off their planes for Jess. This episode really shows the amazing power of friendship and how much these people love each other. This episode is also the episode where I realized that Schmidt really does love Cece. The way that he defends her and chooses her over everything shows how much he does care for her. 

2. Pilot (1×1)

Of course, I had to put the pilot episode on the list of my favorite episodes! Every time I rewatch New Girl from the beginning, I get excited knowing I get to watch the first episode again. I love the introductions of the characters in this episode, and I love getting to see how different they all were at the beginning of the show compared to the end of the show. Knowing that these characters had no idea what their lives would be like living together is so pure and innocent. 

3. Jess and Julia (1×11)

The scene in this episode that really makes this one of my all-time favorites is Jess’ speech to Julia. The reason I find Jess so appealing, and why I think many people may find her annoying, is that she is so quirky and girly. I loved that this episode took the time to address the fact that femininity and being strong aren’t mutually exclusive. I love that Jess stood up for herself against Julia and proved a point. I also love that Julia is played by none other than Lizzy Caplan, who was Janice Ian in Mean Girls. Just another name to add to the iconic list of guest stars on the show. 

I also added this episode to my list of favorites because the towel dilemma is one of my favorite conversations that happen on this show. After Schmidt has dealt with a damp towel throughout the episode, Nick tells him that the blue damp towel is his and Schmidt’s towel is the untouched fluffy red towel. In this conversation, Nick also says he doesn’t wash the towel he and Schmidt have been sharing because “I don’t wash the towel, the towel washes me.” It’s such an iconic scene in the New Girl world. 

I also love the scenes between Winston and Shelby. I feel like this is one of the first episodes where Winston’s character becomes more established. 

Finally, I love this episode because there are a lot of Jess and Cece moments. Jess and Cece are a great example of female friendship. The moments they have in this episode, like when Cece is ready to fight Julia for Jess, are perfect scenes that describe their friendship as a whole. 

4. Parents (2×8)

I added this episode to my list of favorites after only recently rewatching it. Not only does it reference one of my favorite movies, The Parent Trap, but also I would argue that it is one of the funniest episodes of the show. The jokes in this episode are really hilarious and underrated. 

For example, the episode starts with Schmidt being upset about his $18 homemade granola being taken away, which is probably the most Schmidt thing he could be upset over. Another funny moment that made me add this episode is Jess saying her mom (played by legend Jamie Lee Curtis) doesn’t share her dark side and telling Nick he will love her dad because he is “so unhappy.”  

This episode also contains one of my favorite Jess and Cece moments because of how Cece automatically knew Jess was executing her “parent trap plan” on her divorced parents. Just goes to show how Cece has really been there with Jess through a lot and they know each other well. Another hilarious part of the episode is Nick talking to Jess’ dad about his novel and realizing that it has an extreme resemblance to the Twilight books. 

While this episode is filled with other hilarious moments like Schmidt and his cousin fighting over who is more manly. It also has very heartfelt moments like when Jess and her mom are talking and her mom saying “you have to lighten up Jess, it’s just life.” Also, let’s take a moment of silence for the way Nick looks at Jess when her parents tell her they are not ever getting back together. 

5. Five Stars for Beezus (6×22)

As probably the biggest Nick and Jess fan in the world, of course I had to include this episode. Our characters are finally getting some happy endings in a season finale. I was so glad that Reagan was gone and Nick and Jess could finally have their moment. 

There are so many reasons why this episode is on this list. First, we can talk about Schmidt and Cece. In their earlier seasons, I wasn’t particularly a fan of this relationship. In this episode though, I was so excited for them. Schmidt’s reaction to Cece being pregnant shows the viewers how much he loves her. Everyone finds out Cece is pregnant, except for Cece. When Schmidt finds out, he buys her flowers to tell her, but he cannot decide which flowers to buy for her, so he buys a bunch. Definitely one of the most romantic scenes of this show, especially with this couple. They deserve all the happiness in the world. 

This is also another episode to show the great dynamics between Cece and Jess and Schmidt and Jess. The way that Cece is protective over Jess, and drops everything for her is what a true friend does. Also, Jess’ reaction to Cece being pregnant is the best. Although I feel like Schmidt and Jess were robbed of many scenes with each other, this episode was a great example of the amazing dynamic they have. He really helps both Jess and Nick figure out their true feelings for each other. In this episode, Schmidt is really just like every other Nick and Jess fan who has been waiting for an end to the will-they-won’t-they saga that went on for six seasons. 

Winston and Aly are also a great part of this episode. Aly and Winston work so well together as a couple. I feel like this episode showed more of their softer sides. The way that Aly goes out of her way to help Winston find his dad is so sweet. She knew this would be something that could help him. I love the moment when Winston calls his dad and then talks about Aly.

Now we can talk about Nick and Jess. First, the way that Jess was so happy for Nick at his book reading and Nick knowing that he saw her there shows how much they are meant to be together. Second, the way that Jess felt the need to move out of the loft in order to avoid Nick is devastating. Of course, one of the ultimate scenes in this episode is Nick and Schmidt talking about Jess. The way they both speak about Nick’s love for Jess is so romantic and beautiful. Then, Nick decides he’s not afraid and goes to Jess! Jess hearing Time of my Life and then deciding to go to Nick is the best realization she could have had, and I loved how it tied back to the first season. The whole scene with them trying to make it to each other, with Green Light by Lorde playing in the background is my favorite scene of the show. While I think season seven of the show was good, nothing will compare to this ending and this episode. 

Honorable mentions: Clavado En Un Bar (3×11), Birthday (3×13), Cooler (2×15) (I told you, I’m a huge Nick and Jess lover, of course I had to include these two episodes), Big News (3×21), and Elaine’s Big Day (2×25) (Not only do I love Nick and Jess, but I also love Taylor Swift). 

New Girl is the perfect show. It’s hilarious and heartwarming and makes adult relationships and friendships look a little less painful. The characters are the best, and it’s just all-around addicting. While all seven seasons of the show have amazing episodes, this list solidifies the ones that really stand out to me and that I will always come back to. 

Sarah Knowlton

Illinois State '24

Hi I'm Sarah! I am a junior at Illinois State and I am majoring in Human Development and Family Science! After I finish my bachelor's degree, I plan to get my master's degree in Human Development and Family Science as well. Besides writing, I like to read, watch TikToks, make art, and bake!