travel adventure sunset jeep road trip
travel adventure sunset jeep road trip
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

6 Country Music Songs You Should Listen to This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

There is no better time to listen to country music than RIGHT NOW! Well… this summer that is! I’m not that friend who often gets the aux, because very few of my college friends like country music, but that won’t stop me from sharing a few gems in the country music industry. I’ve selected a few favorites of mine from the years that I always find myself singing to, or searching up when I need a good listen. Many of these are fairly popular or were at one time, so they’d be great additions to any summer playlist, country-themed or not. Keep on reading to check them out!

“BEERS AND SUNSHINE” – Darius Rucker

Official music video for Darius Rucker’s “Beers and Sunshine”

This song will leave you ready for summer days… or calling in “sick” to work to enjoy the sunny weather that’s finally here (or at least is making its way towards staying). Rucker not only sings about the joys of back porch nights and country living, but he reminds all his listeners that everyone’s going to be alright and enjoy. He talks about enjoying the outdoors and the small, but good things in life, which is something we all could use a reminder of.

“It’s a Great Day to be Alive” – travis Tritt

This song by Travis Tritt is one of my all-time favorites. Tritt talks about making the most of every day and always trying to look at the good even in bad situations. The message behind this song is unbeatable. Pairing the lyrics with the catchy beat, clearly, this is a summer playlist must-have!

“DO I Make You Wanna” – Billy Currington

This is a great summer love song that mashes the fun memories of summer with falling in love. The lyrics Do I make you wanna dance real slow? / Go flyin’ down a two-lane road? are my favorite!! It reminds me of the nights you are driving around for hours blasting music and singing so loud with your friends.

Tennessee Whiskey – Chris Stapleton

Official audio of Chris Stapleton performing “Tennessee Whiskey”

Of course, I could not make a country playlist without Mr. Chris Stapleton, who I’d highly recommend any readers listen to (whether you like country music or not). The tone of his voice in all his songs is so smooth and definitely a voice that will stick out on the radio if you hear one of his songs. I love the calming vibe this country song has as Stapleton compares his favorite drinks and spirits to his lover.

“When It Rains It Pours” – Luke Combs

Official Video for “When It Rains It Pours” by Luke Combs

I had the hardest time picking a Luke Combs song because I love them all. However, this one is a favorite of mine since it was before his music made its way full force into the country music industry. I like how he is singing about a breakup of his that tore him down, something many of us can relate to, and this breakup ended up being “a saving grace” for him that lead him to good luck. I love the honesty in his lyrics and the authenticity Combs brings to country music. I’d encourage you to listen to his album What You See Is What You Get and be on the lookout for his new album release titled Growin’ Up that’s set to release in late June.

‘TIL YOU CAN’t – CODY JOHNSON

I love this song by Cody Johnson that highlights the importance of living in the moment and recognizing that the days we have are numbered, so we should do what we can while we have the opportunity to. This song can be applied to your career, your dreams, loving someone else, your goals, and so much more. My favorite line is If you got a chance, take it, take it while you got a chance. The best part of the entire song is definitely the ending, where you can hear how passionate and powerful Johnson is when he expresses how important it is to take those chances while you’re able to.

These are just a few of my current favorite songs and artists, but there are so many amazing ones out there – you just have to find the songs that speak to you. I’d highly recommend adding any of these six songs to your playlist this summer, or at least adding them to your queue to give them a listen!

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!