apple music?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
apple music?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
apple music / abby zinman

My Apple Music 2022 Replay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As it is that time of the year, everyone is currently unwrapping their Spotify or Apple Music rewinds of the 2022 year. I am sure that is what many of your Instagram and Snapchat stories are consisting of within these next few days. Now, we could debate which platform is better, but let’s save that for another time.

I use Apple Music and making playlists is my pride and joy. As music is very important to me, I wanted to review my top 5 artists from this year.

5. Fall Out Boy –631 minutes, 10.5 hours

Starting out with number five, we have American rock band, Fall Out Boy. I really did not realize how much I had listened to them this year until looking at my replay. I went through a big band phase in middle school, consisting of band t-shirts from Hot Topic, black beanies and the classic Twenty-One Pilots, Fall Out Boy and Green Day obsession. Although, despite me breaking out of that phase, I stick by that these artists, especially Fall Out Boy, produce top-tier music. All of their albums are similar yet unique as they continue to explore their sound, growing from the 2000s. A lot of the songs I love and still listen to often are from their Save Rock And Roll album released in 2013. If you are looking for rock-pop, alternative/indie, pop-punk even just pop music, you should give Fall Out Boy a chance. They might even bring back a fond memory of head-banging to “Sugar, We’re Goin Down” back in the early 2000s.

4. YUNGBLUD –663 minutes, 11 hours

At number four, we have the 25-year-old English singer-songwriter known as Yungblud. He is an artist I discovered this year and fell very infatuated with his voice. Not only does he have a great British accent naturally, but his voice is captivating for me. You might recognize him in his feature on Machine Gun Kelly’s, “I Think I’m OKAY,” and his hits “Tissues” and “The Funeral.” His music is considered alternative and pop-punk as well. He can definitely be a certain and specific taste for some, but I find him very talented. His voice is so unique and different from many artists I have heard before. I love when he sings his upbeat, scream-in-the-car songs, as well as hearing him take a slower side in some of his music. Yungblud has just released a new album titled YUNGBLUD this past September. I found it very good with a particular taste to it. I am not surprised he reached a high spot in my top 5 artists this year.

3. Zach Bryan –844 minutes, 14 hours

Holding spot number three on my top artists for this year is American singer-songwriter from Oklahoma, Zach Bryan. I know it is an interesting jump of genres from the pop-punk I had been listening to in my past two artists. Bryan is a country artist that has risen to fame in these past years with his hit “Heading South,” but the debut of his May 2022 album American Heartbreak has made Billboard chart records for a country album. I have fallen in love with Bryan’s voice. I had been listening to his American Heartbreak album a tremendous amount this year. It is filled with a mix of upbeat classic country songs and songs that leave your heart shattered on the floor. I think we can all relate to at least one of Zach Bryan’s songs. He’s an amazing artist I hope I can see in concert one day.

2. Taylor Swift –1,173 minutes, 19.55 hours

Of course, no surprise here that taking spot number two on my list is the icon herself, Taylor Swift. I easily think I have seen her on everybody’s top artists for this year. With Taylor Swift not only breaking a tremendous number of records but also winning hundreds of awards, Swift is one of the best-selling musicians of our time. Like everyone in the country, I have been heavily listening to her new Midnights album. Some of my favorites definitely are, “You’re On Your Own Kid,” “Lavender Haze,” “Maroon” and “Labyrinth.” Prior to her recent album, I was very indulged in listening to Taylor’s Version of Red. Swift being on this list for her amazing albums, I feel is an explanation enough for her being on my list as my second most listened-to artist for this year. I have no doubt she will remain on here the following year as well. I cannot wait to keep watching what miss Taylor Swift has in store for us.

1. Machine Gun Kelly –2,229 minutes, 37.15 hours

Reining in as my number one artist for 2022 is Colson Baker aka Machine Gun Kelly. If you know me, you know that I absolutely love MGK. I got lucky enough to see him headline at Lollapalooza this past summer. Now, I very much understand that he is the king of controversy. A lot of people may look at him being my number one and be very confused. He is not liked by many and to me is an acquired taste. I fell in love with MGK’s music in his recent switch from rap to more alternative rock. His pop-punk 2020 album Tickets To My Downfall remains my favorite and held number one on the Billboard charts that year. As I do also love his recent 2022 album Mainstream Sellout. Kelly has found himself in many controversial headlines, but I still find myself loving his music deeply. It is something I never get sick of. He is my celebrity crush all day, every day. I very much respect others who are not fans of him, and I could write a whole new article about why I like him so much, but I’ll leave it here for now. No surprise here, Kelly steals my number one artist spot and his song, “don’t sleep, repeat” with 44phantom for 2022.

I hope the rest of the school year and 2022 year brings everyone peace, health and happiness. Music is something that continues to tie people together. So, enjoy continuing to listen to the music that makes you happiest.

Lexi Jurkus

Illinois State '24

Hi, I am Lexi Jurkus. I am an English Teacher Education major at Illinois State University. I have loved writing since I was young, writing is like therapy to me. Therefore, I wanted to open myself up to the opportunity to try different ways to expand my writing!